Sign in to follow this  

DRZ trailering - Compression of the suspension

I was reading some trailering posts and what people used to keep the front suspension from being compressed. I haven't worried about it so far because I have had a pretty large trailer and had the tie downs going more off to the side rather than down.

I am looking now at a three rail trailer and the tie down point are pretty much forward and down (not too far off to the sides). So the front suspension will be more compressed then I have been doing in the past.

My concern is others (non-drz) have mentioned that after they used tie-downs the front suspension then always seemed a little lower in the front. Kind of like something happened and the suspension never recovered. Because of this they have been using 2x4s amoung other things to keep the suspension from compressing.

Is this a problem with the DRZ also? I guess I am not understanding quite what is happeneing with their bikes and if I should be doing anything. I have to trailer an minimum of 2 hours each way to ride.

You can always get a piece of wood and put it in between the tire and the fender and compress against that. I would just recomend putting some sort of cusion on the wood so you don't deform your fender. Like some foam or something like that. It works pretty good.

It wont hurt modern fork springs. The "chock" idea is a good one though since it will keep the bike more stable. When you hit a good bump without one the forks can compress a bit as the bike jerks side to side which slacks your tie-downs. That said, I hardly ever use a chock.

Doug

Has anyone tried one of those mini basketballs, a football, or a volleyball?

Seems to me that should work, and allow a non scratching, and slightly flexible solution.

Or is the problem that pulling the shocks even that far down to bind the ball would cause shock damage?

Pulling the staps down tight will not hurt your suspension. You don't need to put anything between the tire and fender. If you do put something there and it comes out then you will have a noisy wind chime being bouncing along side your trailer. Just tighten the straps until the bike can't bounce up and down. If you are going to leave the bikes tied down overnight you can always loosen the straps to relieve pressure on the springs if you are worried about it. Just be sure to tighten them down again before you drive off. If the fork and shock springs were weak enough to be deformed by being compressed by tie downs then they would wear out after a good ride.

One trick that I learned a long time ago is to use a standard bungee cord to make sure your tiedowns don't come loose and fall off. Basically once you have the tie downs in place, take a bunge cord and attach it to the eye of the hook on each end. If you don't do this, if the bikes leans when turning the stap could potentially become loose and the hook could come unhooked. With the bungee cord in place, even if the strap comes lose the bunge cord will keep pressure on the hooks so they don't come out.

Man, I just reread that and I did a horrid job of explaning what I'm talking about.

Pulling the staps down tight will not hurt your suspension. You don't need to put anything between the tire and fender. If you do put something there and it comes out then you will have a noisy wind chime being bouncing along side your trailer. Just tighten the straps until the bike can't bounce up and down. If you are going to leave the bikes tied down overnight you can always loosen the straps to relieve pressure on the springs if you are worried about it. Just be sure to tighten them down again before you drive off. If the fork and shock springs were weak enough to be deformed by being compressed by tie downs then they would wear out after a good ride.

+1 :bonk:

I have lost one bike off the side of the trailer and I know several others in the same boat when using aluminium fork-savers... They make the bike too rigid and will work loose when driving on very unever surfaces, the chatter just works them loose...

I have read not to compress more than 50% somewhere.

I compress mine enough so that the straps are tight and try and leave some room for suspension travel.

The bungee is a good thought too.

+1

I use a chuck for piece of mind.

I use snap rings to attach the straps to the bike and the tie downs. Can't come loose that way. Picked them up at a camping store. Cut the hooks off and then pass the snaprings thru the strap loop. I hook the front ones into my old front turn signal mounting brackets and the back ones in holes in the subframe. That way I can leave the straps a bit looser and not worry about the straps coming off.

spoken like a true weekend warrior :bonk:

unless your suspension is completely worked over, dont worry about it.now if you were leaving it mounted in a trailor for storing then you may have a prob

but like RZ said at night you can loosen your tie downs

I bought a cheap one from RM. It barely fits, if I roll the bike back to bring it in place. Once I got it up in the truck I couldn't get it under so I said forget it. I just crank the forks down really tight and that sucker ain't movin'. I was searching too and saw Eddie give it the OK. I bought two of the carabiner tie-downs to use and they work nice.

I need to think of a use for the fork support now. Don't know. It should fit better under an 'S' or 'E', someone can pick it up for free or spot shipping.

I was reading some trailering posts and what people used to keep the front suspension from being compressed. I haven't worried about it so far because I have had a pretty large trailer and had the tie downs going more off to the side rather than down.

I am looking now at a three rail trailer and the tie down point are pretty much forward and down (not too far off to the sides). So the front suspension will be more compressed then I have been doing in the past.

My concern is others (non-drz) have mentioned that after they used tie-downs the front suspension then always seemed a little lower in the front. Kind of like something happened and the suspension never recovered. Because of this they have been using 2x4s amoung other things to keep the suspension from compressing.

Is this a problem with the DRZ also? I guess I am not understanding quite what is happeneing with their bikes and if I should be doing anything. I have to trailer an minimum of 2 hours each way to ride.

Hit Don-O up in the southeast forum and see if he has a "Fork-U" available. I have one for my DRZ and use it often with no problems. It is not completely rigid and works well. I have hauled mine for 2500 miles at a time, including stints off road through the Ocala National Forest with the DRZ in the back of the 4x4.

I have lost one bike off the side of the trailer and I know several others in the same boat when using aluminium fork-savers... They make the bike too rigid and will work loose when driving on very unever surfaces, the chatter just works them loose...

I've had that very thing happen several times, and lost several of those plastic style chocks that go between the tire and bottom triple. It's ok on smooth pavement, but if you have to travel any rough gravel roads etc to your trailhead, those things just pop out and now your bike is WAY loose and I've almost had bikes come off my trailer after the chock popped out.

Just don't compress the crap out of your suspension and you're fine. Just enough compression to keep a good amount of tension on the tie down and you're good to go. Bungees are good insurance just in case a tie down goes loose for second, the bungee will keep it from falling off. That said, I've never had one come loose since I stopped using chocks.

Great idea Regalman. It's always the simplest things that work the best. Can't believe I didn't think of that before tip overs!:bonk:

If you loop your tie downs above the fender below the triple trees you won't need to compress any thihg, I've seen thousands of new bike come off the crate like that, it eleminates the need for compression and takes the suspension out of the equasion