Sign in to follow this  

cold temps and a thermostat?

Anyone ever try to put a thermostat on a DR650? Since putting on the Vapor and being able to monitor oil temp I am finding she runs pretty cold on cold days (I feel her pain myself - really). On a cold day (30F) my 20 minute commute only brings the oil temp to about 130F and seems to stabilize, I don't think I could stand a longer ride to see if it would warm up more. The method of mounting the sensor I used was to drill the spare drain plug and thread it in there (pioneered by y'all :bonk: ). That method puts the thermister in a "dead spot" as far as being in circulating oil, so I would think the slow warmup times I experience are partly due to it taking a while for the oil near the sensor to warm up. But as I said the temp seems to have stabilized after 10-15 minutes. I was thinking even a manual petcock on the radiator tube would work, but that tube looks tough to work with. The Vapor has an over temp warning so if I forgot to open it it would let me know. I like the petcock idea b/c I could partially open it and hopefully get a warmer steady state temp

Thanks

I've have the same setup with the Vaypor and didn't really even think about the dead spot issue, but you're right. The oil doesn't quite circulate about that point as much as it does elsewhere so the reading does lag a bit. I'd be curious to simply turn off the bike and stick a thermometer into the oil through the oil fill port and see how much different the temp is from the Vaypor's :bonk:

I block the air flow on my Multi's oil radiator on cold days (it displays oil temp). That's common practice with Multi owners who ride in cold conditions. This would be trivial to do on the DR650 as long as you can see what the oil temp is. All we are talking about here is a piece of cardbroad slipped between the radiator and the rock screen

Aside from a healthier oil situation having the oil up at 180 or so, gas mileage should improve. I think on Ducati's there's more going on then just oil viscosity but we see about a 5 mpg improvement cold weather to warm.

Thanks for the suggestion Mojave - I think I'll give that a try

I got to thinking that the shut off (or a thermostat) to the radiator would probably have to provide a bypass tube so the oil can keep circulating. A peice of cardboard sounds much easier, hell I might even grab a piece of black plastic and make a deluxe model

PBR4LIFE - That test with the thermometer would be interesting. The lag is probably fairly long, like a few minutes. I left the plug intact so the sensor sits down in there. Might have been better off the remove as much of the unthreaded part of the drain plug as possible before drilling it out. I like the vapor, but I have had some flaky RPM readings where the LCD bars just flick up and down between 3-8 K. Only happens once a ride or so, worst part is it trips all the RPM warnings so the dash lights start flashing at you,I think I'm getting pulled over or something