Sign in to follow this  

Riding to work

Well men I drove my 2006 DR650 to work today, I commute about 40 or so miles from San Lorenzo to Tracy. The trip usually takes around 40 mins but on the bike it took around an hour and a half becouse I took the back roads.

I got on the freeway a bit too and I have to say after owning a VTX1800, R1 and many more etc... I have to say that the DR is by far the best bike I have ever rode and I have been riding for over 30 years. With the exception of the seat being a bit uncomfortable but not to bad compared to my bike I ride 3 times a week which has helped my arse. I have had the DR for about a year and really enjoy the way it handles, I really feel much safer becouse of the manoverability, great breaks & throttle response.

I have made the typical mods i.e. airbox, K&N filter, Dynojet kit, drilled slide, FMF Q pipe, down to 14 on the front sproket, SM front fender, Acerbis hand guards & Acerbis front headlight.

Next is to get a SM set of wheels for the street & keep the stock for off road.

Anyhow I just wanted to share this with you guys. RIDE-ON:ride:

Nitmare

Jerry

Well men I drove my 2006 DR650 to work today, I commute about 40 or so miles from San Lorenzo to Tracy. The trip usually takes around 40 mins but on the bike it took around an hour and a half becouse I took the back roads.

I got on the freeway a bit too and I have to say after owning a VTX1800, R1 and many more etc... I have to say that the DR is by far the best bike I have ever rode and I have been riding for over 30 years. With the exception of the seat being a bit uncomfortable but not to bad compared to my bike I ride 3 times a week which has helped my arse. I have had the DR for about a year and really enjoy the way it handles, I really feel much safer becouse of the manoverability, great breaks & throttle response.

I have made the typical mods i.e. airbox, K&N filter, Dynojet kit, drilled slide, FMF Q pipe, down to 14 on the front sproket, SM front fender, Acerbis hand guards & Acerbis front headlight.

Next is to get a SM set of wheels for the street & keep the stock for off road.

Anyhow I just wanted to share this with you guys. RIDE-ON:ride:

Nitmare

Jerry

I havent ridden too many other motorcycles as I'm relatively new to the game, but I do own a DR650 (first bike) and I'm impressed that a rider of 30 yrs experience gave the DR such good ratings. I'm a perfectionist, I always think something could be improved upon and I'm usually never happy with the status quo. Theres a constant drive to seek better and different ways to do things. Having said that, I always thought..theres gotta be better motorcycles out there then the DR, maybe when I get more money I can buy one of them and improve upon the motorcycling experience. I have ridden other street bikes, they all felt heavier and more sluggish handling then the DR, but still, the consensus amoung bikers is that the DR is not a worthy machine, so theres SUBLIMINAL inferiority built into my head about the DR. :bonk: Hence the urge to seek improvement.

Its feedback like yours that makes me think..."THIS IS A GREAT MACHINE, and damn proud of it, screw you for saying its "not a real bike."" The bike may not be sexy, or have a ton of chrome, or wake up the neighborhood like your harley, but its hell of a lot of fun to ride and has the simplicity and reliabilty of an anvil.

Snipage..... but still, the consensus amoung bikers is that the DR is not a worthy machine, so theres SUBLIMINAL inferiority built into my head about the DR. :D Hence the urge to seek improvement.

Hey, who are these bone headed "Bikers" you speak of there fella? I've been a "biker" for 40+ years. I have a list of bikes a friggin mile long that I've owned and I have some fairly new ones right now that are far from the POS ranks. Get off the inferiority complex and enjoy the great motorcycle that is the DR650SE. You are not riding a piece of junk by any means no matter what these "experts" have managed to make you believe. :bonk: The bike fits well in the designed intentions of the compromise we are looking for. Ride it and enjoy it.... I certainly am. :bonk::naughty:

for what it is, the DR is an awesome bike!!

great comfort- nope

great brakes- nope

great speed- nope

but anytime you can hand a sportbike it's arse in the twisties... on "knobbies", priceless!!

i must say, i wont be getting rid of it anytime soon! :bonk::naughty:

I've been riding 48 years. Among the bikes in my garage are 2 Harleys and yet the bike I head for most often? My DR. Don't get caught up in the "image" thing. It's about the ride and if your bike puts a smile on your face, it doesn't matter what it is.

I havent ridden too many other motorcycles as I'm relatively new to the game, but I do own a DR650 (first bike) and I'm impressed that a rider of 30 yrs experience gave the DR such good ratings. I'm a perfectionist, I always think something could be improved upon and I'm usually never happy with the status quo. Theres a constant drive to seek better and different ways to do things. Having said that, I always thought..theres gotta be better motorcycles out there then the DR, maybe when I get more money I can buy one of them and improve upon the motorcycling experience. I have ridden other street bikes, they all felt heavier and more sluggish handling then the DR, but still, the consensus amoung bikers is that the DR is not a worthy machine, so theres SUBLIMINAL inferiority built into my head about the DR. :naughty: Hence the urge to seek improvement.

Its feedback like yours that makes me think..."THIS IS A GREAT MACHINE, and damn proud of it, screw you for saying its "not a real bike."" The bike may not be sexy, or have a ton of chrome, or wake up the neighborhood like your harley, but its hell of a lot of fun to ride and has the simplicity and reliabilty of an anvil.

I too have copped flack for having a big heavy/underpowered DR. I do think about other bikes but not for long, just thinking about the maintenance schedule of the newer gen is enough to make me be happy with the old girl. Besides you have all seen what i do with her:thumbsup: Everyday commuter, track day & adventure tourer, only paved road at the moment but it will change soon.:bonk:

Well at least comfort can be solved by changing the seat to a corbin or have your local shop do it up for ya. Iam happy with the speed and power. I like to be in control of what I am ridin'. The Dr Is real easy for me to throw around I am 5'11 and 220 I did upgrade the springs too from Keintech. So I got it where I want it.

I except the DR for what it is and I think it is one of the best in its class. I have rode a Kawi & Yamaha and (IMHO) the Dr was by far the best. The only one I rode that seem to be better on the street was the KTM 950 Super Enduro but it was 12k!!!

So DR GitR-Done!!

Nitmare

Yup I'm with you guys,,, 30+ years ridin' bikes from 50cc to 1340cc...

The Harley,, well that just a diffrent kind of ride...Like sitting on a big block chevy engine,,, with a hole in the muffler... Great for crusin' and biker bashes.....

The DR is about a year to me now and every time I finish a ride,,, like he said 'Miles of Smiles'... It is usally 'Dang that thing runs good!"....

Had a Kawi 1000 that did not run that dang good,,, It had the header and carb mods but just didn't have the SNAP of that 650..(Sorry Kawi Guys,, it was and older KZ model,,, way before Ninga turtle bikes came out....)

Best thing about the DR is every road is rideable.. On the HOG it was,, Ohh jesss,,, hope it ain't sandy or I'll pup a nut pickin' this thing up,,,The KZ was ,, "Don't run all that good untill like 2000 miles per hour.... The DR has taken everything I can throw at it....Mud holes to Interstate,,, Just eats it up !

Beside with the standard mods I can't get over the roll on wheelies ! Pulled a 2nd gear-er the other day and it felt like it went on for ever,,, just bring it up and find that balance point and ,,,wrummwrummwrumm:ride:

Was thinkin' the other day, Sure would be nice to have my old harly back,,, Then the thought of selling the DR was like OHH HELL NOOO:naughty:

From Mud to the open road,,, bring it on !!!

92a417c2.jpg

backbike.jpg

You know, that image thing... it's funny...

Every time I ride to work and park over there, I park next to a bunch of flashy sport bikes or cruisers of all sorts. On a typical sunny day there are about 20 bikes parked.

However when I come and park, if I go somewhere for lunch or whatever, somehow, people are usually looking at my bike and not the others. People walking by - usually look at my bike and not the others.

Hard to blend in on a DR :bonk:

I'm with you guys. I started out on a little almost up Briggs and Straton mini bike when I was about 10 years old. That was my first thumper!!! When I was 13 I moved up to a two year old Honda CL100. That was in 1974, and I still have that little jewel. When I was 16 I moved up to a 1976 Yamaha XS650, but I fell in love with the Yamaha SR500 as well as the XT and TT 500's. I just couldn't afford to add another thumper to my garage. I went from 1984 until November of 2005 without owning a bike other than the little Honda. It was then that I walked into the local Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda dealer and saw "big Suzi" on the showroom floor. I went back the next week and payed cash for it, and I have never regretted it. I have ridden just about every type of bike in the last twenty some-odd years, but the big DR is absolutely my favorite. It will do everything I need it to do. It has really surprised me with its on road handleing, even with the "death wings". It's not the fastest, quickest, plushest, sexiest, or meanest bike out there, but it starts up every time I push the button. It can put a smile from ear to ear on my face, as well as scaring me into an adrenalin fueled frenzy. Someone called it the SUV of the motorcycle world, but I don't think it is that polished and tamed. It is more like the '79 Blazer sitting in my driveway. They will take me anywhere I need to go, and put a smile on my face while doing it.

I to have been riding for over 30 years now and have owned a wide range of bikes. In fact I still own other more powerful, expensive, flashy bikes but the DR has my attention right now and should for a long time to come. I've become a believer that less is more and for the majority of riding I do I just don't need 100 HP and a wow factor that attracts attention. The DR is fun and that's the bottom line.