Sign in to follow this  

valve install questions(faction)

ok any help would be great got my head back from the engineering place he cut seats and installed new intake valves faction ss intake kit, the problem is

there doesent seem to be enough room at the spring retainer on top of the

stem for the shim to locate ie its not going deep enough into the retainer

and it is a lot shallower than the stock retainer was, also one seems deeper than the other this is using the faction retainers do you think i could use the stock retainers with the faction valves and keepers as the stock ones seem deeper

thanks

just had another look and it seems the spring retainers i got with the faction kit

on the intake have a chamfered edge like stock exhaust do you think i was supplied exhaust retainers anybody with faction valves know if the intake spring retainers are flat like stock.

thanks

ok update i bought valve spring compressor removed one intake and it

seems the problem lies with the keepers they seem wider than stock

intakes more like the stock exhaust ones anyway if i use the stock keepers then i get the space for the shim are aftermarket valve keepers normally the same dimensions as stock or do the vary i would think they must be the same

could i just order new stock keepers and use those with ss valves

thanks

I had just bought some cotters from Faction the exhaust cotters are fine and work great also the same as the 250 crf cotters i even checked them for hardness and there stonger than the stock cotters but the 450 cotters for the intakes are dimenshioned wrong and do exactly what your talking about with even the stock retainers i havent called Bill @ faction yet to let him know about the problem hopefully not to many of these got out there because it could cause some serious problems .

thanx ron its always nice to have confirmation from someone like yourself

do you think i would be safe using new stock retainers and keepers as i ordered these online not available in my country and it will probably take a month to get keepers from the states we do have kibblewhite dealer

prehaps i could use there stuff

(retainers keepers) with the faction valves?

thanks again

ps ron i dont know if you noticed slight variations with the titanium retainers

on mine one is definitely deeper than the other that is why i want to use the stock ones when i used my old stock cotters with faction keepers you could see a diff in depth of shim but with stock retainers and cotters the depth was equal and much like it was with the stock valves(ie the shim sit deep enough) just dont know if the stock stuff will cope with the ss valves and there new springs.

cheers

will the stock retainer fit the faction valve spring that would probally be the way to go .

yes they do fit i will just use new stock retainers and keepers with the faction valves and springs

thanx again ron

Hi spoke with bill at faction and i can use stock keepers with his setup bill

got back to me with the info i needed real quick thanks bill so looks like ill

be good to go for the weekend and also have peace of mind on my ride

cheers