Sign in to follow this  

When to blip it

I am new to dirt bikes, and I was just wondering when you should blip the throttle while jumping. Just before the front tire leaves the ground, or just after the front tire leaves the ground, or not at all??:bonk:

You will want to hold the throttle steady untill the bike rear tire leaves the face of the jump. Letting off the throttle before the rear wheel leaves the face can send your front end diving (not good).

As you get better you will know when you can blip and when to use a blip, or when to jump with the throttle chopped completely (to avoid over jumping)... But by then you will also know how to position yourself for the type of power delivery you will use on the launch and you will also know how to correct any errors once your in the air.

But untill then...

Steady throttle is the key... being your new to jumping, just stay steady on the throttle untill the rear wheel completely leaves the face. The amount of throttle you choose to hold steady will depend on how far and long you need or want to go in the air.

UpAllNight is dead on about the steady throttle.

On my 125, I blip it about at the apex of my flight just out of habit. On my 400 on the other hand, I seem to have a habit of going burp...burp...burp in the air...lol

I don't know why I do it, oh, and always land with the throttle WFO.

I concur. On long ramps, it's almost not necessary to blip the throttle at all. A shorter ramp where your front tire is going to be in the air, while the rear tire still hasn't hit the lip, you're going to have to blip it a bit to keep the rear-end from being higher than the front.

It's truly one of those things you need to play with on smaller jumps until your proficient at it. Once you get "the feel" it's cake.