Sign in to follow this  

Tame her?

Hey fellas i just went for a quick ride on my dads TTR250, and man i think im quicker on it then my YZ250F

I come to figure that it was more tame and i could ride it alot more to its full potential then my 250F....is there anyway to well "Tame" my ride so i can ride it alot easier quicker and better basicly. Perhaps reduce the SNAP that u get when florring the throttle, even though if you roll on the throttle, you still get it. Fellow 250F riders will know what i mean, so if anybody could tell me which direction to go to achieve this sorta power,

please gimmie a yell!!

Sorry if this question has been asked before.. :bonk:

Im a 250f rider and i have no idea what you are talking about..........

Dam...ride a TTR250 or a WR and you will know what i mean, keep the ideas comin guys! i guess im looking for a similar powerband of a WR/TTR

weighted flywheel...thats what they do, they smooth out the power to "tame" the bike

I guess you could WR your YZ, just check the FAQ for what people usually do to their WR to make it more like a YZ and do the reverse.

Or just ride more and learn better throttle control as suggested. Very few riders are looking for less power and responsiveness.

I guess you could WR your YZ, just check the FAQ for what people usually do to their WR to make it more like a YZ and do the reverse.

Or just ride more and learn better throttle control as suggested. Very few riders are looking for less power and responsiveness.

ID still like the power, but not all in that one HIT you know what i mean... then again i have not been riding it for all to long, just seem to be quicker on a bike that seems to have power all around.

Is there small things i could go like, Flywheel, Sprockets just to make the bike a lil more suited to me? IF so what would you guys recommend?

You could drop a tooth on your front sprocket, that'll gear it down a bit and is cheap. Adding flywheel weight will slow down how fast it revs up, decreasing the snap some. But what will really help is practicing throttle control so that when you don't want that big power hit you don't grab a handful of throttle, you just crack it the amount that'll do what you want it to. The YZ-F is better known for it's mid and upper range than it's lowend, so when the power comes on it does come on a bit abruptly.

Dam...ride a TTR250 or a WR and you will know what i mean, keep the ideas comin guys! i guess im looking for a similar powerband of a WR/TTR
Why would i want to do that then i'd be a spode on the mx track cause i would be bottoming out every jump. I will stick with my 250f and wax the ttr and wr riders on the mx track:ride:

What "hit" are you talking about? My yz pulls pretty smoothly from bottom till top! If you've got a 2 stroke like powerband, your jetting is off.

Hey fellas i just went for a quick ride on my dads TTR250, and man i think im quicker on it then my YZ250F

I come to figure that it was more tame and i could ride it alot more to its full potential then my 250F....is there anyway to well "Tame" my ride so i can ride it alot easier quicker and better basicly. Perhaps reduce the SNAP that u get when florring the throttle, even though if you roll on the throttle, you still get it. Fellow 250F riders will know what i mean, so if anybody could tell me which direction to go to achieve this sorta power,

please gimmie a yell!!

Sorry if this question has been asked before.. :bonk:

A little late on this one, but you can either change your sprockets (which was said) 13/46 will give you less low end and more top speed or you can add a flywheel weight. The power does not change, but the added weight will smooth it out. Here is a sizing chart. If you do a flywheel I would recommend buying a complete flywheel with the weight on it. That way you can switch back to stock of you would like. I added 12 oz to my YZ426 and it changed the hard hitting power to a manageable trail bike. I also would not add more than 10 oz to a YZ250F

Many good suggestions but the flywheel is the easiest. If you dont like it hten you can change it back.

You do not want to ride a TT-R 250 long term...

Yeah the bikes are stone reliable, but the motor will want you wanting more really quick

You do not want to ride a TT-R 250 long term...

Yeah the bikes are stone reliable, but the motor will want you wanting more really quick

Alright, a while has past and i still havn't managed to do any mods to my bike.

As you guys have mentioned the flywheel seems to be best suited to me.

so do you definatly think i should go for the flywheel or the sprockets first?

I do like the TTR but as JSanfilippo said, i will get bored of it real quick.

Are flywheels easy to install?

Ive never done anything major like this.

Before it was mentioned not to go over 10oz why is that?

Just had a look on bikebandit and they are about $220 a piece! (In aussie dollor)

Any cheaper routes...other then learn to ride it with the power lol?

Still if it does the job nicely i will have no hesitation in paying that much, just want to be sure.