Sign in to follow this  

Backroad Map Question

Hello folks,

I probably should have posted this in the general forum but I usually only look here so that is where I posted.

I was wondering about resources to find back roads. Obviously I have looked at maps, but I was wondering if there was such a thing as a map that only shows two lane and dirt roads. When I look at a regular map that shows every little road it is sometimes difficult to tell what's what. I have looked at google earth and that has been helpful.

I live in NW Arkansas and am planning to take a trip up towards the Mt. Rushmore area and if decide to take my SM, I want to avoid all highways.

I'm looking for something similar to the Trans-America Trail maps only I would like to stick to small roads (no bad trails) due to my sm's disadvantages on the trails. Is there such a map available:confused:

Thanks for any insight.

Have a great day,

CC

I use a Garmin GPS to find all the obscure roads ... and I know exactly where I am on the Map within 20 ft

I have not used a gps yet so am not very familiar. Does it actually show or tell you the type of road?

CC

On the autorouting gps's and computer software you usually have some options to tell it to avoid interstates/highways/toll roads etc

Go to Borders or Barnes and Noble and get a Gazetteer map book for your State. It has all roads, including the little obscure ones. You will have to carry pages of folded up maps in your pack, but at least you will know where you are.

Bones

I used a Garmin GPS with garmin's roads and recreation maps, superb.

Provided it is a GPS with a routing facility it will have an option to avoid certain types of road.

You can further confuse it by telling it you are on a bicycle :naughty:

That is what i do for a quite and scenic trip.

Neil. :bonk::D:bonk:

PS I am now using a "Tom-Tom Rider", with standard mapping and that is even better, at least for the UK.

Get a DeLorme Map for your state....it will be a book by itself....shows all two lane, dirt roads, trails.....I print out copies on our color copier to take with me.

Between that map, my Garmin Mapsource program, and Google Earth I can narrow down which are the backroads....

Thanks guys. Don't know if I will make an extended multi day trip on the sm or not but the information you gave me has been very helpful.

CC

Delorme Topo USA for you PC. Works very good and you can use it with a GPS handheld unit also.

I like to check out google earth. I follow local roads that I know out father looking for better ones. Works real good for fire roads in CA.

I second the suggestion for Delorme's TOPO USA. You can plan your route ahead of time and tell the program to avoid certain types of roads while you are planning your route. You can not only see how curvey the roads are, but you can see the elevation changes as well. :naughty::bonk:

Check it out http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?section=10050&item=23968&minisite=10020

Also try live search. You can do street or aerial searches. Click on your state, right click and hold to scroll the direction you want to go, zoom, it has it all.

Well, if you're not up to speed with GPS, I would recommend buying some

USGS maps from the local hunting and fishing depot (or you can order them

directly from USGS). These maps have trails labeled "Jeep Trail" and they

are great for exploring unknown areas. You actually have to carry the paper

map with you, but they have what you need. Once you find a few jeep trails,

you will find other, smaller trails just right for dirtbikin'.