Sign in to follow this  

2005 KTM 450SX trail suspension settings

Hello:

Before I send out my suspension for revalving etc etc, where does a guy begin with the compression/rebound clicker settings??

I am a 200 lb 6'2" intermediate rider...I ride my 450SX 95 percent of the time NOT on a moto-x cross track --- almost all woods trails riding. ie. I do not fly off 40 foot table tops. :bonk:

I have rode bikes for years , but never really ever mucked with the suspension.

On this bike, I wouldnt mind having it set up properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

There should be a few standard recommended settings in the little WP front suspension booklet that came with your bike. on my WP 4860 MXMA for both the rebound dampening and the compression damping they recommend 10 clicks back from fully tightened down in order to get a hard setting, 14 clicks back for a standard. I just rebuilt my front shock and put both at 14 but it feels a little soft so I'm going to try it at 10 and I'm 6' 1" and 205 lbs.

The SX has some very stiff valving. You will need to revalve both front and rear. The difference will be very noticeable and well worth it.

05 Ktm 450sx rear shock is not strong enough for your weight.

stock shock spring is 8.0kgmm, you need more like a 8.8kgmm.

The forks are good for your weight.

After changing the shock spring, set the free sag around 25mm and static sag to 105 mm ( important to get this a least close)

I can give you some starting clicker positions, but you will have to fine tune it for terrain conditions, mostly soft or hard. (soft terrain = more compression)

Shock:

High Speed = 2 turns out

compression = 12 out

rebound = 8 out

Forks:

compression = 10 out

rebound = 8 out

Thanks to August @ MX Tech this setup works pretty good.

to get the ultimate setup just send it to MXTECH they are the best KTM suspension people on the earth. period

.set the free sag around 25mm and static sag to 105 mm ( important to get this a least close)

not trying to be nitpicking but free and static is the same

what you mean is 25mm static (free) sag and 105mm dynamic (rider or race) sag 😛

not trying to be nitpicking but free and static is the same

what you mean is 25mm static (free) sag and 105mm dynamic (rider or race) sag 😛

Picky, picky:smirk:

Thanks to August @ MX Tech this setup works pretty good.

to get the ultimate setup just send it to MXTECH they are the best KTM suspension people on the earth. period

In your opinion. They may have got your suspension dialed in your particular case but that is not always true...