Sign in to follow this  

Rich = Spooge, Lean = ???

Spring is right there and temperature is changing a lot. Of course, my Mikuni needs some attention. When my bike smoke (blue) even when hot and have spooge coming out everywhere, I know it's time to lean the mixture. But what makes me know it's too lean? I saw a thread here on TT saying that too lean of a mixture can also cause spooge and (white) smoke, is that true?

When I rejetted the bike yesterday, it smoked (whitish) a bit when cold but pretty much stopped afterward. No spooge though. How do you know you are too lean?

The question that kills: Is it easy to seize the engine being lean? :bonk:

Thank you

I live in Kalifornia so I don't have to worry about jetting issues. But I would rely on the color of the spark plug to jet my bike. When I like the condition of the plug I keep the jetting and pre-mix ratio the same. You will need someone from the same area to chime in on what they do.

If too lean it can seize up, but you will need to go quite lean for that. If the bike bogs at all, it could be too lean (not a bog with tons of smoke and spooge.) If it its crisp and little smoke when warm, you are pretty good. No matter what, the bike will smoke when cold because the piston crown temps are not up to running temp yet.

on 2 strokes, to check the fuel mixture. check the plug, if the inner electrode is white or dry light tan, then it is lean...also you can get a sense of the bike's preformance....such as the bike feeling erratic or increase temps..

smoke is normal for 2 strokes especially when it is cold...the the bike warms up there should be less smoke...

When a bike is lean It does not spit spooge and smoke immensely.

When it's jetted too lean the bike will surge. It's a weird action that can be confused with being rich. It will bog momentarily then a huge power surge will hit.

Don't confuse the two. remember lots of smoke and spooge is to rich.

the plug should be gray tan on the center electrode. be aware of white dead. redrider98 gave a perfect explantion for telling if its to lean in the hit range. if it is to rich the bike will not be snappy and tend to load up and sound rough. top end can be harder to tell. like the others said, light smoke when pinned means your in the right direction for the top end. when reading the plug remember it reflects what you did 5-10 minutes before and reflects mostly what is happening in the midrange (needle clip position)

lean will make it mean. a lean bike will run better than a rich bike , but it will also run hotter and might ping more, it's always better to run on the rich side than to run on the lean side, especially if you do alot of wide open riding. like some other guys said it will surge and run erratically, just keep an eye on your spark plug and pay attention to the way she's running. i can usually tell how my jetting is by the way my bike is running and feeling.

when your plug electrode insulator is bone white it means you are so lean your top end is not gonna last much longer. hence white death.

cr2fidy "a lean bike will run better than a rich bike" if the piston still goes up and down:smirk:

sorry i couldn't resist:excuseme:

i would also like to add that if the bike is lean, you will hear a distinct PFFFT PFFFT sound whn at the lean throttle opening. its more previlent on a 125, but my 250 has done it as well. it might be hard to hear while you are riding, but maybe a friend could listen to your bike for you on a few test laps...