Sign in to follow this  

WR250F Weight Issues

I have been a longtime WR 250F fan and B class enduro rider. My current bike is an 03' WR, which I have now made totally street legal via Baja Kit. My plan for 07' was to originally get a YZF and modify it for the woods due the fact that I was going to use it primarily for racing. I have read the sticky about which bike to buy a million times and I am very famiiar with my own bike's habits and charactaristics. If the WR still used the steel frame it would be a no brainer for me, but it seems that Yamaha has really thought the new one out, not only fixing the YZ's 06' frame geometry issue, but actually making the 07' WR have a flexier frame for the woods. (If this is not the case and the frame is still an 06' YZF with turning issues, please let me know!). So, I can either spend thousands of additiaonl $$ to make a YZF a super woods racer, or buy the WR and just go with it with very little mods needed. Here's my concern, I can't believe that the new WR still weighs some 40 lbs heavier than the same year YZF. Where does all this additional weight come from and are there things that can be done to shave a few lbs (such as removing that goofy air injection system)? Lastly, are there any enduro racers that have owned a YZF in the past and have switched to a 07' WR? What are your impressions? Would you still go back to a YZF after comparing the two Thanks!

I think the extra wieght is mainly due to the starter and the battery.

As for the turning issues, I just raised the forks a couple mm in the clamps, and said "wut" to the turning issues.

Even if it did have the same problems, It's still worth it.

Note that I have no advice on the 07 WR and how it handles. I am just using my YZF (06) as a guide.

But when you say flexy frame, do you mean that the aluminum frame gives more? IMHO, I feel that it rides just like a steel frame. The cast extruded parts within the frame really help out with the integrity.

Thanks for your insight. Dirtrider's new 250F offroad 24 hr shootout said that the 07' WR had a specifcally designed frame that was "flexier" than the YZF, which makes it more compliant in the woods. Thats where I got the info from.

As a former hare scrambles racer, I will vouch for the '07 WR 250's handling. It is exceptionally nimble through the tight, single-track sections, but also very stable on the high-speed straights. Yes, the WR's aluminum frame is marginally more flexible than the YZ's, but that is exactly why it handles so sharply in the tight sections. In addition, this more flexible frame, combined with the slightly softer suspension, allows it to react more quickly over the smaller obstacles (such as roots) found on hare scrambles/enduro courses, compared to the larger jumps on MX tracks. Yes, the WR is a bit heavier than the YZ-F, but aside from the under-seat battery (laid on its side to help), most of the additional weight is placed very low on the bike and is hardly noticable when riding. Of course, it comrs with an 18" rear wheel and a superb digital trip computer - ideal for enduros. Add in the lights, softer seat, more low/mid-range power and e-start, and you're ready! Here's mine:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w15/dirtbiker_66/003.jpg

SuzukiRacer,

Your bike does look great! What type of graphics did you use? I found that graphics were always limited for WR's compared to YZF's. Are you a big dude? I am a small guy (weight wise) and I am nursinng back a shattered shoulder. So my biggest weight concern is just trying to lift the back end out of a mud hole. I guess a good weight lifting regimin will help the most.

Spinkta Boy: Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I ordered my graphics from Factory Effex. It's their DX-1 ATAK series, and I told them to substitute Suzuki yellow for all areas that were black. Being a 35+ year die-hard Suzuki racer, I just had to have some yellow on my WR to match my yellow/blue helmet/jersey/pants/boots. Hence the yellow Cycra composite hand-guards and yellow/white Acerbis front disc guard (I just installed a few days ago -see picture below). I bought the WR because I grew tired of waiting for Suzuki to release a competitive off-road bike. Plus, the '07 WR has had fantastic test reviews everywhere and I have enjoyed every second of riding it so far. I'm 6' even and weigh about 175lbs. Yes, lifting it out of a "mud hole" will be a bit harder than a YZ, but I think the difference is insignificant.

Hope the shoulder heals quickly.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w15/dirtbiker_66/WR.jpg