Sign in to follow this  

Worth it or a bad idea?

Well when i get home I'm getting an SM. I'm just wondering if there is any downside to going with an FCR off the bat. I'm not sure if it would take away from learning the bike or not. Oh the hard decisions.:naughty::bonk:

If this is a first bike or you've have a long time between bikes then get it and ride a while to see what you think.

The stock DRZ is not a dog if you are not an experienced rider. For a new rider, the DRZ has enough get up and go to give you a smile. No one will laugh at you because you have a Mikuni carb on your SM. On this forum many express their satisfaction with the bike just as it is. Believe it or not some people do not enjoy wheelies and burn outs. You might love it.

If you want this joy right from the git go, then by all means spend the cash.

Ride the bike first and modify it as you see fit. You might be fine with the power and want to spend $3000 on suspension. Your thoughts and opinions will not necessarily be identical to the people on this board.

At the very least, if you do decide you want more power, you'll have ridden the bike first and you'll appreciate what you've gained

yep,ride it first and see how ya like it.if you do decide to mod, the fcr should be the first.its the best bang for the buck

You may want to break it in before swapping out the Mikuni.

My SM ran a lot better once it had 1k on the clock compared to new. I never bothered swapping out the Mikuni. My FCR is still in its box, waiting for my next DRZ.

Well the main thing is i don't plan on rejetting the stock carb. I want to make sure that it being lean or whatever won't reduce the possible power to be made during break in.