Sign in to follow this  

230F cam/valve timing. Can this be right?

I'm attempting to fix a 230F for the neighbor's kid and it just won't start. After some troubleshooting, I decided to check the cam timing. I own a XR650L and the proper service manual for THAT bike, but I'm not going to fork over the $48 for the Service Manual for a bike I don't OWN. Now on to my question:

Check out the attached picture of the cam "gear" at TDC. (crappy picture taken with cell phone) The marks are WAY off from the top of the cylinder head. It appears to be 2 teeth off adjustment. Is it possible for this to happen to an otherwise normally operating motorcycle? The owner of the bike said that it has NOT been serviced by anyone else since it just "stopped running". (I was concerned that someone attempted to fix it and put it back together wrong)

If someone WITH the proper service manual and/or knowledge can let me know what to do/test next, myself and the neighbor's kid owuld greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

TDC3.jpg

The cam chain appears to be very loose, do you have the tensioner slacked off?

Did you take the plug out of the top of the left side cover and line up the T mark on the fly wheel with the index mark, if so then its out of time.

No, it still haves what appears to be the correct tension on it. All I did was remove the cover to expose what we're seeing in the pic. Sorry for the crappy picture.

Yes, this is where it rests when the "T" is with the index mark. What stumps me is that this bike just "stopped running" while in this condition (no one else working on it). COULD it run in this condition and/or could ANYthing have caused it to get that far out of alignment?

If no one worked on the bike why does it have red sealant applied all over? I agree timing chain does look loose but picture quility is low.

Yea, I quickly noticed the red sealant, but I meant no one has worked on it SINCE IT RAN LAST.

I agree that the timing chain appears to be slack. If you hold the crank stationary can you move the cam back and forth?? The timing chain tensioner may have failed, but I doubt it. Who knows?

If the cam is in that position at TDC and the timing chain has tension, it may very well have a bent valve because the timing is off. If this is the case it will never run until repaired properly.

Good luck and ride safely.