Sign in to follow this  

4 Gallon tank (installation help needed)

Does anyone have the IMS 4 gallon on their 450X, if so I have a couple of questions. The two rubber pads, do they attach to the frame on each side (one near the fuel valve and the other on the other side of the bike)? Did you have to grind a little of the radiators on the top corner or just place rubber or something in between to prevent rubbing? Where did you route the additional fuel lilnes? What kind of clamps for the fuel lines to prevent them from slipping off? Was your rubber strap on the back of the tank a #!&% to get on? Overall how do you like the tank? Thanks in advance

I just put the IMS 4 gal on my 05 450X. Yeah, I did some tweaking on it to get it right. PM me directly and I will get you some helpful info on this. I used a heat gun to soften it up for a better fit.

I've put a couple on 450Xs and thought the extra weight, and gallon'age over the 3.2 was not worth the effort or what it's worth....

If you truly need a 4G... so be it. But in real world it only gets you another 15-25 miles (depending on your MPG). :bonk:

A little love here and there mounts that tank right up. I used the rubber on several places... just can't seem to remember where exactly. :naughty:

I would rather have too much fuel that not enough.

Understood!!

It's a matter of where your riding, and HOW you ride I guess. They do make a rear fender tank... and a front number plate tank... so, if your looking for more capacity... skys the limit. :D

There's times where I can't double back on a long ride to make sure a rider is okay (on our Baja fun rides) and it bothers me. So I make sure there's a XR around with a 4.3G or 4.6G on the ride. :bonk: They always have extra fuel. :naughty: ... but if you were solo, and in need of fuel... there's never enough capacity in those situations.

:bonk:

I had to file a liitle on the sharp radiator flanges.

Just for piece of mind.

I have about 1200 baja miles with no problems.