Sign in to follow this  

Loud squealing noise

My 98 KDX220r has started making a very loud squealing noise when its running, in neutral just idling. If I rev it a little the noise changes but is still there. Also if i am just pushing the bike when its off it will once in a while make a similar squealing noise. What is this? it seems to me like a clutch issue?

nobody has any ideas? is there a belt on the water pump?

No, no belt on the water pump - it's gear driven . . .

I can't help you with this specifically, but if you don't get an answer consider posing the question on kdxrider.net - that's about the most technically-oriented group when it comes to the KDX

Yeah I asked over there, no responses yet. I'm not much of a mechanic, but one person suggested to me maybe the crank bearing? I don't know, I'll probably just bring it to a kawi dealer

Given that this happens in neutral and only sometimes in gear, your suspicion of a clutch issue is not a bad place to start.

It would be beneficial if you can manage to more closely pinpoint from where the squealing is coming. Take a large wrench, place one end of it on different points of the engine while placing the other end up against your ear - see if the squealing predominates from one side or part of the engine.

Do you have a service manual? Get one. The online version of the manual is cyclepedia.com : it's cheap, well-documented, and has some pretty good pictures.

It's worth a try and could very well save you big bucks (and keep you from wondering if the shop did things correctly).

are you low on oil? perhaps a low quality oil?

last year at the track i noticed a weird sort of squealing noise that went up and down in pitch with the engine rpm's, i shut down and checked everything over and i was low on oil, not out just low. added a half quart and the sound went away instantly.

its a shot in the dark but wouldnt it be nice if it were that simple:thumbsup:

trans oil? It was a little low but I thought of that and changed it already. When I started it back up it was doing it again. I brought it to the dealer where i bought it from because they were going to pay for some of the repair. when I got it there, i started it to show them the noise, and it wasn't doing it anymore!!!! But they are going to look at it anyway because I don't see how the noise would just suddenly go away.

everyone I talked to seemed to think it was the crank bearing