Sign in to follow this  

2004 CR250....good?

I'm looking at 2004 CR250 with 5 rides on it, looks like it just came out of the showroom floor.. it also has a Fatty pipe, a powercore 2 silencer, and an 11 oz. flywheel weight. with this setup, would this be a nice powered bike? and how was the suspension, handling, and reliability in this year?? thanks

Sorry, I miss read your post, I thought you were talking about the CRF not the CR 2 stroke.... So I deleted what I had to say below...

Guess you didn't see the other 30000 threads about these bikes. Look around.

The 2002 and up CR250's are known for having great suspension, a great frame, ergonomics and handling. The fly in the ointment is they have very mediocre engines. The problem is Honda went to a case reed motor with an electronic power valve in 2002 and have never been able to get the motor to run as well as they would like. They have very little bottom end with an abrupt hit in the mid range that signs of quickly on top. They also have a reputation for being finicky to jet.

That being said, I have a friend who raced a '04 CR250 and did very well on it, even won a few races. It's not that it's a bad bike. In fact, everything except the motor is awesome. It just takes a little more work to make them go fast.

You need to learn the ins and outs of the carb and its jets, because you will be changing them out every ride. Also its a good idea to buy stock spark plugs. Honda had terrible carb problems from 04-07.

I had one and I miss it almost every time I go to the track. My 07 CRF 450 is amazing and I wouldnt trade it for the world, but my 04 CR 250 was a blast at the track. You do have to rail the turns and stay on the pipe to clear the big stuff, but still very very fun bikes. NEVER had a problem that wasnt my own fault....i.e. bent a radiator, broke levers, flat tubes, etc....