Sign in to follow this  

Brand New 07 KX250 - Need Help

Hey guys, I just bought an o7 kx250 Thursday and rode the bike yesterday. I followed the breakin procedures as stated in the manual. On my third ride I had planned on riding for the suggested 30 minutes and 2 minutes into my ride I fouled a plug.

I removed the spark plug and the plug was very wet and there is spooge coming out of the muffler.

I have owned a 2-stroke before but never had to make carb adjustments. So I'm in need of some assistance. I was told to raise the clip 1 which would drop the needle down to lean it up some. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but have never performed this before. :bonk: Can Someone kind of spell this out for me? I'd really appreciate the assistance. If its quicker please feel free to call me or I could call you to get some instructions. 504.415.5857

I'm close to sea level and 70-90 degrees running 32:1 (93 octane)

Thanks in advance

Congrats on the new bike, you will love it. But, KX's usually are jetted very rich from the factory. If I were you, I would first determine the proper pilot jet size. They can be 2 or 3 sizes rich stock and cause most of the spooge/fouling plugs problems. Try searching the jetting forum on this site. There is alot of info there. Also you can google "spanks jetting guide" it's how I jet my bikes. Good luck!

Hey guys, I just bought an o7 kx250 Thursday and rode the bike yesterday. I followed the breakin procedures as stated in the manual. On my third ride I had planned on riding for the suggested 30 minutes and 2 minutes into my ride I fouled a plug.

I removed the spark plug and the plug was very wet and there is spooge coming out of the muffler.

I have owned a 2-stroke before but never had to make carb adjustments. So I'm in need of some assistance. I was told to raise the clip 1 which would drop the needle down to lean it up some. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but have never performed this before. :bonk: Can Someone kind of spell this out for me? I'd really appreciate the assistance. If its quicker please feel free to call me or I could call you to get some instructions. 504.415.5857

I'm close to sea level and 70-90 degrees running 32:1 (93 octane)

Thanks in advance

I have an KX 07 and had the same problem. It seems that the KX comes really rich on pilot and needle.

To raise the needle you need to unscrew the cross screws on each extreme of the the carb in order to be able to turn the carb around slightly. The needle is on top of the carb and you need to loosen the accelerator cable and undo the 2 screws on top of the carb. Slide out the "piston" and spring and undo the 8 or 6 mm bolt to acces the needle. take needle out and remove the C clip carefully with a little flat screw driver and put it on first position. Be carefull to not loose the clip. Do the reverse and tighten the 2 little crews on very top of carb torqued at 3.9 Nm.

I personnally put in a 42 pilot and 158 main and changed needle to a NFTF and ran it in second position but I am at 1500 ft altitude. The needle NFTG (stock needle) in first position will also work but you are on the extreme setting. I find the owners manual jetting chart to be very good for the main jet but very wrong for the needle and pilot.

Hope this can help.

Also, check the air screw. On my 99 kx250 it's 1 1/2 turns out. JFYI, I have a 155 main. 42 Pilot. Clip is in the 2nd from the top. I have a FMF fatty pipe, but I am at sea level. Oh, and I have a NGK b7evx plug.

I appreciate the feedback. I pulled out the needle and it was on the 2nd notch, I moved the clip up to the first and I'm 1.5 turns out on the screw. I haven't had the time to run the bike but I'll try to put around tomorrow to see if this makes a big difference or not. I'm also running a NGK-BR8EIX plug.

Thanks again, have been a great help! :bonk:

I had so many problems with my 06 kx250 when i first bought it with the carb and such. Your best bet is to go by Team Green settings. I know they said to use the BR8iex plug. Im not sure about the carb setting but i would find the old issue of Team Green with all of there settings. My bike ran perfect after all those adjustments. Im sure you can google" Team Green kx250 specs" or something and it will pop right up. Ill try to dig up the old issue and let you know.

I appreciate the feedback. I pulled out the needle and it was on the 2nd notch, I moved the clip up to the first and I'm 1.5 turns out on the screw. I haven't had the time to run the bike but I'll try to put around tomorrow to see if this makes a big difference or not. I'm also running a NGK-BR8EIX plug.

Thanks again, have been a great help! :bonk:

I'm sure like all the other guy's say,fix the jetting.But the key word hear is putting.During break in and not being on the pipe plus rich jetting your gonna foul plugs. Oh yeah,plus the xtra oil they used when they put your piston in.

tdg911: Since you are breaking in the engine, then YES!!! it will have such problems. Change the plug (or even chage it to a hotter plug like the manual says!) and then go do your 30 minute ride.

Until it is broken in, why in the world would you fool with the jetting??

Once you get it broke in, then wonder what Team Green, anonyomous Billy Joe Jeck in Whereverville, etc. says.

The spec sheet shows an NGK BR8ECMVX plug as stock. If yours came with that, you may have noticed that the BR8EIX is about 8mm taller and harder to install / remove. The NGK site shows the BR8ECMIX as the Iridium plug. I am running one in my 2005 KX250, and it works well.

Congratulations and good luck on the bike.

thanks for the input kdx. I can see your point on this but the bike is loading up the entire time. I'm really surprised I didn't foul the plug much sooner. I could feel the bike bog down and I just try to work the throttle to keep it running.

I just sold an 03 kx250 which was doing the same exact thing. Before I fouled the plug I removed the plug to inspect it and it was drenched. So this was an assumption to try to lean it out some. I already had to push the bike about a quarter mile in the trails and didn't feel like doing that again

I started working on jetting my bike after it's second ride (because it was way rich) broken in or not.

I started working on jetting my bike after it's second ride (because it was way rich) broken in or not.

Same here !!! the problem mainly is the pilot and needle. Put in a smaller pilot and set clip on first position.

Just a question, when you took your bike out for the first time, what was the outside temperature. I'll be taking out my 06 kx250 soon and I was told that when under @8 deg celcius that the bike might not run properly.

I'm dying to get my kx out:crazy:

The temperature was low 80'sF to upper 80'sF in the afternoon.

I have a 2006 kx250 with about 20 hours on it and also have the rich problem mostly on cold start with fouling an br8 plug. I agree with everyone about needing to rejet but I was wondering about the JD jet kit, is just a general setting or area specific? I live in Northwest Georgia. Does the JD kit for my bike come with a smaller pilot etc. as everyone as said that it needs? tdg911 have you fixed your jetting on the 07 kx250? And what pilot ect. did you go with?

Thanks

the jd kit comes with a 160, 162, 168, 170 main, with a 145 for a pilot(which is smaller than stock) gives jet settings for sea level to 3000 feet, 3000to 6000 feet, 6000 to higher. also comes with 2 different size needles which are noticably larger than stock. also the kit tells how to adjust from hot/cold tempertures. im using the 162 main, blue needle 3rd clip and stock pilot. the bike is a little rich but no bogging from what i can tell, maybe slightly on the bottom (im on the pipe 90% of the time anyway) i might try the 145 pilot jet and see what it does. and im in the 3000 to 6000 foot range(4800 feet)

The JD kit I got came with a 45 pilot but I had to buy another size smaller (42). The kit comes with 4 or 5 main jets and 2 different needles. Except for maybe having to buy another pilot the kit should give you everything you need to jet your bike for a variety of temps, elevations, etc.

You just beat me to the punch Kawasaki891! It's actually a 45 pilot not a 145.

well I took the bike out today and it was like last week...

Ran the bike for hours without any problems. This is after I moved the clip to the 1st notch and set 1.5 turns out.

After a somewhat successfuly morning, we're sitting in the parking lot for about 20 minutes, I start the bike, riding in first gear (keeping rpms up) switch to second and felt the bike loading up. fouled the plug again....

I'm going with the JD jet kit and going with team green recommended settings. Starting to get bumbed. I had to push the bike again, I was a huffin and puffin after that walk.

I"m sure once the bike is set I'll start to enjoy it more. Also for the 07kx250 is it safe to run a br7? I"ve been hearing stories of burning a hole in my piston or making it run too hot.

I mainly ride trails and not on the pipe 100% of the time. Does this sound about right?

Main Jet: 162 (160 stock)

Pilot Jet: 50

Needle: NFTG

Clip: Second from top

Air Screw: 1-1/2 turns out

Close to sea level and hot as a mofo here in Louisiana.

I did notice with switching 2-stroke oil to silkolene at 32:1 oil was oozing out of the pipe oppose to whatever the dealer had in it at 32:1.

Once I get my JD Jet kit I'll let you folks know.

on jdjetting.com there kit only shows for 02-06 JDKA01 - Kawasaki KX250 (02-06)

Will this work for an 07? I'll have to call them on Monday I suppose.