Sign in to follow this  

problem puting cases back together

i pressed my cases back together and on the right side(tranny side) a tiny gap remains....it easily goes down put as soon as the press gets off it it rises back up...1/16 of an inch. i then cleaned it of gasket residue, checked the tranny and shifting assembly for the 10th time and tried to put it together again...same thing! whats going on here? what should i look for?:bonk:

thanks

i should add that when just the tranny shafts are in(no shift forks or shift drum) you can spin them for a second fine but then they lock up, and then you can spin them the opposite way for a while and then they stop. when i install the shift drum and forks when the shafts do stop i can just rotate the shift drum a bit and it will keep going...

It sounds like a bearing wasn't fully seated in it's bore somewhere. Pull it back apart and make sure all the bearings are fully seated in their races. Also make sure all the gears, dogs and shift drum line up and get it back together. I don't press the cases back together, I get it back together after freezing the crank and heating the bearing's inner race and then use the bolts to pull it together tightening them a half turn at a time. Then I check the shifting of the gears and haven't had an issue. Another thing you could have done by pressing the cases together is the crank throws are now out of alignment. Did you use the tool for the crankshaft to permit the throws from getting out of alignment???

the bearing not being fully seated sounds logical, but i never messed with those transmission bearings...could they be messed up anyways?