Sign in to follow this  

Fork help needed

I weigh 180lbs. I'm going to be replacing my fork seals soon and I ordered 7W oil hoping it would stiffen it a bit. I'm inexperienced in the suspension stuff. I know I need stiffer springs, but can't afford them right now. Will this do what I'm wanting it to do, or should I stick with the 5W that it calls for? Also will 1 quart be enough for both forks? I ordered a oil level kit. Are there any other special tools I will need?

you will need something to get the fork cap off. I believe its 50mm. I assume the fork oil level kit is just a syringe... i dont think you will need that. Its been a while, but i dont think you can adjust the oil height on twin chambers... you just add the correct volume. I think 1 qt should be enough, but i may be confusing my old 85's forks with these... i think they are like 360cc in each tube? Oh and make sure you look in teh owners manual... it has a graph of how much oil is left in the forks, depending on how long you set the forks upside down, and the temerature it is. And yeah Id go with 7w.

Okay...Yea the level kit I ordered is basically a big syringe. The fork cap was my initial worry. I noticed in the manuel they used a special boxed wrench that adapted to a ratchet. I believe I can make this tool, but if not, how important is it that it gets the proper torque? Is it possible to reinstall it with a cresent wrench?

Okay, You will need a fork cap wrench, and a large socket to get the fork cap out of the damper, so you can drain it...

first- Record The C and R settings and set them to the softest setting

-loosen the fork caps

-Take forks off of bike

-remove fork cap

-Then you use the mechanics stopper tool, so you can separate the fork tube and the damper unit/rod, you have to take out a couple of nuts at the bottom of the forks.

-now you have the 2 units apart, drain the oil out of the fork tube

-now you have to pull the fork tube out of the fork body, you have to repeatedly push it in a bit and then forcefully pull it out, until you can get them apart, there is a bushing that you have to pull out by doing that.

-then you can replace the bushing and seals

For the damper rod (the long rod that you have took out earlier) you take out the cap of that with a large socket and then drain out all of the oil, then you put in new oil, bleed it by pushing the rod up and down repeatedly, then you check the oil level... After that you put the cap back in, then you compress it all of the way and out of the holes excess oil will drain out, you blow that off with compressed air to do it quickly, or leave it upside-down, that is what the time scale in the manual is for.

Anyways, that is what I had to say, just follow the service manual and it will walk you through it. After the first time, it will become like rutine maintenance to change out your oil or replace fork seals... And when you replace your fork seals it is a good idea to replace the bushing also, because a worn bushing will just blow the seals out again.

And don't use a crescent wrench to remove the cap, there is a chance that you will just round it off, then it will be expensive, JMO.

I ordered the Moose seal/bushing kit so I should be good to go....I don't have a stopper tool. Is it necassary and if so is it possible to make one?

I ordered the Moose seal/bushing kit so I should be good to go....I don't have a stopper tool. Is it necassary and if so is it possible to make one?

Yes, its possible to make one, I made one out of some aluminum... Read page 118 in the service manual, it will explain its purpose.

I forgot to add, that 1 quart wasn't enough for me to do both forks, I needed a bit more...

Really? That's sucky, I already ordered just one. Now I'll have to pay for shipping another one out unless the local bike shop happens to have the same stuff.

Well thanks for the help guys! :bonk:

From the manual:

Fork damper: 192 ml x2 - oil height/level is 42-47mm or 1.65-1.85in.

Fork tube is 369 ml x2

So that totals 1122 ml and there is 946ml in a quart.

But the fork tube oil capacity is variable, so you could do it with 1 quart (I just did the math, and you still would be short some oil:banghead: )... It is 317-419 - The difference is less oil = the fork bottoms softer, more oil = fork bottoms more firmly/harder. and your weight, would help you decide on how much oil to put in. The standard oil capacity is 369, if you were happy with that, just use the same amount again.