Sign in to follow this  

Lacing a 21" Excel wheel to a SM Hub woes

Well it seems simple enough, I even posted a question here to see if it was possible. "Yes is sure is" was my response. I have an '05 DRZ400SM and bought a 21 inch front Excel wheel to simply lace onto my existing hub. The problem I have is that every other 2 spokes are too long. My first thought was I laced them wrong but in comparing them to my existing back SM wheel and to the front of my Yamaha WR400 they are laced exactly the same. So my best guess is I need shorter spokes. Has any one done this? Here is a picture, does this look correct?

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2785614580038660556aYxOts?vhost=rides

Several factors need to be considered. Number of spokes (usually 36 but not always, 40 and 32 are also common) and spoke "cross", both of which determine spoke "angle" and spoke "length" which determine how the rim is drilled. Not just any rim can be laced to any hub. Not all wheels use the same spoke cross pattern. My KTM has a different cross then the DRZ (cross 2 vs cross 3). Both use the same size rim and very similar hubs but the rims and spokes will not interchange. I don't know what you have going on but I suspect you have some mis-matched parts. Rim and spoke set have to be engineered to fit your hub. And then it has to be assembled as it was designed.

I bought some used wheels on ebay and the spokes were toast. I replaced the spokes on both wheels. One spoke set had different length spokes (long spokes go on one side of the hub and short spokes go on the other side). I think it was the front wheel.

WGW

Well I suspect as you said its a mismatched parts problem, I was just hoping someone found a way to make this work. I sure hate to spring for an entire wheel.

Both hub and wheel do have 36 spokes, I'm not a complete idiot........well maybe that depends upon whom you ask :>)

Is the SM hub different than the standard E or S hub? If different, then you need to buy a rim and spoke set custom engineered to fit the SM hub? If the SM hub is the same, then any rim/spoke set that fits a E or S will work.

I'm assuming the SM front hub is different than the E or the S, does anyone know for sure??

Apparantly the hubs are the same because with a few tips from Eddie I have figured it out. So the answer is yes a 21 inch wheel can be laced to a SM hub.