Cam timing question, can this be right?

I know cross-threading is an evil thing to do, but I figure you guys with the bigger XRs might have more technical knowledge of the XR/CRF-F motors. Please check out the following link and help if you can.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489437

here's my two cents and that's all it's worth, I would like to know if the "T" on the flywheel is lined up with the index pointer on the case and the plug is out of the bike and you can see/touch the piston with a plastic straw (piston @ TDC).

If those two things are happening and the cam marks match that picture, I wondering if the kid is telling the truth about not having it apart, because the case looks like has red silicone on it and someone put it together wrong.

I KNOW the kid didn't work on it himself, so that's why I asked the DAD if he had anyone else look at it. He assured me that no one else had. That's why I'm stumped that the bike DID run with the cam that far OUT of adjustment.

I KNOW the kid didn't work on it himself, so that's why I asked the DAD if he had anyone else look at it. He assured me that no one else had. That's why I'm stumped that the bike DID run with the cam that far OUT of adjustment.

If it was me I would look into the cam chain tensioner ( I know the DR's had a problem with there's) and put everything back to where it should be, you can pull the plug and slowly kick it through a couple of cycles to check your work. Sorry to doubt you, it looks like silicone in the picture like it's been worked on. Good luck!

That has been apart no question about it! Cam is two teeth off, too far advanced, even if you removed the cam chain tensioner it should/could not be that far off. Its gotta come apart to be timed correctly! Good luck, those helping the neighbor things always are harder than they are supposed to be! Since they are not being up front with you I would give the bike back and tell them to take it to the dealer, no need in getting yourself involved with a not good for neighborly relations scene. I have been through this too many times, first they wont really appreciate what you have done then when/if the bike tears up in the future it will be all your fault. :naughty:

Think about it, and good luck, making the right decision! :bonk: