Sign in to follow this  

IS the DR650 right for me

Hi I just want to know is the dr650 a good bike for me. I want to be able to ride offroad. mainly the powerlines. Im coming off a Xr80, but i havent riden that in 3 years. I am a preety big person. I dont ride real agressivly. I just want to keep up or beat my friends. My one friend has a 4 wheller a 1992 230 honda. My other friend has a 400 Honda EX racer. I dont have to worry about keeping up with him because he is a morron.

i would have to say yes.

( I would have said only yes, but the post length was inadequate. I often feel inadequate at time. Especially times like these.)

So, yes is the answer. Id say YES.

4 wheelers? Unless you're skilled they'll walk away on you on twisty gravel sections and have an advantage in really slippery areas but the DR650 will own them everywhere else. I'd say that it's more than you need to go chase a couple four wheelers around but that just might be half the fun. I'd trade in the stock tires for something more aggressive and do the usual skid plate, bark busters, etc.

Powerlines mean sand..lots of sand..at least in MI. It ain't pretty on a stock DR 650. In fact, it's down right messy.

yes there is sand but when i went up there on my 80 is wasnt loose sand.

I would get a dirtbike but my buget is 3000. Also i only have a car. The powerline is only about 2 miles away but too much hasel.

WHAt I WANT IN A DUALDSPORT.

1. Power. in which i mean power for offroad rooting, and power for highway.

2. offroad. I am a casual rider and so are my friends. So I just want to be able to go up the powerline with them an not be burned. I wouldnt mind beating them but when they say it sucks ill say. "Look what i can do. and do a wheelie on the main road.

THANKS

I was up in Gettysburg PA for a summer in 2001, and bought a KTM RXC620. Took the bike up into the mountains and rode the powerlines and some other trails. The DR will do fine up there, get a 14 tooth counter sprocket to save from having to slip the clutch at slow speeds. I always enjoyed riding right off into the trails while everybody else was unloading their atv's and gearing up. You can have more ride time that way too!!

You might be happier with a DRZ400S. I have both a DRZ and a DR650. The 650 is a pleasure on road and OK on graded dirt or gravel roads, but a handful in sand. The DRZ with Trackmasters doesn't even notice sand - even deep sugar sand - and is fine on-road for up to 1/2 hour at a time before the seat becomes distracting. Off-road, where you're standing a lot, all day on the DRZ is no problem.