Sign in to follow this  

valve and spring kit install

I am rebuilding my 2005 450exc. The Kibblewhite valve and spring kit I have comes with "spring shims". I do not know if they install above or below the springs. Can anyone help explain if these are to be used and where?

Thanks!

Cree

acree@clearviewcatv.net

measure from the tip of the valve to the machined area where the spring seats. IF its over 1.480" put shims there to get to 1.480". If less then 1.480" toss those shims. This should yield 70 to 74 lbs pressure seated.

Then the lower spring seat goes on (thick machined steel piece) with the smaller part of the ID down

then seals which I use a 10mm deep socket to push into place by hand,

then spring, either end up,

then the Titanium top retainer & keepers. Tip here, when the keepers are in place they are not always 100% seated, use a 6mm socket over the tip of the valve and a light tap with the hammer to seat the keeper into the valve, then a light tap on the valve tip to seat the keeper into the spring.

Dave, thanks for your insight. I plan to use lapping compound for the new valves...any problems with that? I'm pulling from old memories of small engines class from high school, don't want to mess up.

Thanks!

Cree

Use a felt pen and coat the seat & valve face with ink, give it a few seconds to dry, then lap, in a few seconds it should have a good pattern, if it does not clean up in 30 seconds or so of lapping then you need to have the seats refaced. As the stock valves where very soft the seats are generally like new