Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys... my first post... have a question

I just picked up a new 06 dr 650... so far loving the heck out of it...

my question.... if i changed to a 14 tooth gear on the front would it help the bike to be able to idle at a slow speed... I have noticed that the bike almost quits in first gear unless you pick up the speed...Seems like i am always having the feather the clutch when i am playing in the dirt and going slow...

Welcome...

Yup, The bikes are not geared for off-road riding at all stock. Change to the 14 and be aware you will need to grind the retaing plate a little to keep it the chain from rubbing on it. You will see what I mean when you put it together.

Dale

Have you adjusted your idle mixture screw yet? They are set very lean from the factory and adjusting it will make the low rpm performance much happier and less stall prone. You have to rotate carb, drill brass plug, then adjust to highest and best idle on a fully warmed engine.

Welome aboard!

Ditch the retaining plate and use two 7/8" circlips instead.

A sprocket swap is an easy job on the DR.

Ditch the retaining plate and use two 7/8" circlips instead.

A sprocket swap is an easy job on the DR.

You have to rotate carb, drill brass plug, then adjust to highest and best idle on a fully warmed engine.

Is there just a low speed needle that i need to turn...???

Not sure what you mean by drill brass plug??

It is the only other external adjustment besides idle speed but on the DR's they come blocked off with a brass plug. Other bikes that have the same carb don't have the plug(KTM 640's). It's really not that difficult and if you were to have a shop do it, if they are fair it woould not be more than an hour's worth of labor.

You have to rotate carb, drill brass plug, then adjust to highest and best idle on a fully warmed engine.

Is there just a low speed needle that i need to turn...???

Not sure what you mean by drill brass plug??

See the pic below for the brass plug!!

IMG_0613.jpg

Under the brass plug is the pilot screw, it is usually turned in too far... Mine was set at about 1/4 turn from the factory. Use a straight slot screwdriver bit from a magnetic screwdriver to adjust (A #1 straight slot works best for me) out until you find the happy spot. Try not to adjust past 3 turns!!

Are you actually drilling it out....?? What kind of drill bit???to remove it..

sorry for the stupid questions... this is my first cycle...

Are you actually drilling it out....?? What kind of drill bit???to remove it..

sorry for the stupid questions... this is my first cycle...

You can use a sheet metal screw to remove the plug. I used a drill bit,go slow and it should lock onto the bit and spin.

You can use a sheet metal screw to remove the plug. I used a drill bit,go slow and it should lock onto the bit and spin.

Yup I used the bit that came with the dynojet kit. Just a tad bigger than the hole you see. And TT66 is right, went slow mo and the plug stuck to the bit and spun right out. Very little pressure on the drill homes and the plug will come out. There is a flat head screw under there, what about 1/16 of and inch( about 3mm for you metric mates:excuseme: ) and that is what you turn out for more juice. Don't turn it out too damn far or it will fall out !:bonk:

.... this is my first cycle...

Got to love this country and the accents right:smirk:

Now do you pronounce it 'Phi hole' or like my southern draw pronounced 'Sick Kill' ?

224792.jpg