Sign in to follow this  

Few qustions on my valve train. need advice

Hey guys, I have a 2004 CRF250R, all stock. Well taken care of. I have had it since new with no problems. I have shimmed the valves a few times (mostly right intake). Last weekend my bike all of a sudden got hard to start, would only push start. Anyways I tore into today to check the valves again and this is what I got.

Right intake is closed up @ <.0015". Left intake = .005"

Right exhaust = .010" Left exhaust = .014"

My qustion is do you all think its time to spend the money and get a new complete 07' head with everything new so I dont take a chance of blowing it up, and costing myself more money or would you try reshiming it again???

I am leaning towards spending the money and having RHC send me over a new head. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.......

I would just shim it to the top of the spec again.

Intake .004-.006

Exhaust .010-.012

If your intake closes up again, you are in need for a head rebuild... Seats cut, new valve guides installed along with, new valves, seals, springs, retainers and cotters.

But if you have the money a new RHC head would be awesome, get him to port it, install his valves and springs and maybe get one of his cams.

If you want to rebuild your current head check out http://www.mongoosemachine.com/ And yes I agree, it is probably time for a head rebuild.

That's the last measurement I had on my RI. I shimmed it three times altogether and now I'm in the process of rebuilding it. I can refer a very good shop to do the work if you want. After my third shimming, it only lasted two rides before it was out again. So I think it's safe to say that it's time to rebuild. :bonk:

Im just going to order a new complete head from RHC and be done with it.