What size bike

My family and I have just come to the decision that I will get a trials bike. I have no experience with trials and no idea how the size/power compares. So here is my question: What size bike should I get? Model suggestions are also appreciated. I currently have a yz 125 and I am completely comfortable with the power and size. I have been riding off road all my life, and there is very little that I can't get through on the trails. I way about 130 without gear, but I can push most of my dad's big old bikes around with relative ease. Ideally, I would like to buy the biggest bike that would work for me because this will be a wintertime/backyard hobby, and I will want to be able to ride this bike for a long time.Thanks for the help:thumbsup: . I was also thinking of a gas gas by the way. Any opinions on this

That has been a very popular question here in the Trials Forum. You can find a lot of former information on the subject in the older threads.

But to summarize, most people even young and smaller riders like you are perfectly at home on any of the over 250cc bikes. Even the largest cc size is still lighter and smaller than your YZ 125. They all have less horsepower than your YZ 125 too. But thats only because they develop peak torque at a much lower RPM. They can pull a truck and I have done that several times.

The extremely heavy flywheel absorbs any explosive power but stores it to give it back when you shut the throttle and helps the motor pull way down at idle speed RPMs. Don't get me wrong, they are instantly responsive at any RPM and some beginners complain that the bike jerks them around until they learn how NOT to hold on so tight and be gentle with the throttle. The power response is like a very strong electric motor.

The only thing you need to test before you buy a 250 to 327cc Trials Bike is kick starting it. These are not your normal 2-strokes. They have a very high compression ratio for a 2-stroke. I think about 9:1

My Wife has a Gas Gas 200 but ONLY because she can't start the 280. She likes riding the 280 more but she is only 5'-0" tall and weighs 100 pounds.

There is typically no CC class in your local Trials Events so you can ride any model or size you wish. And the 200 Gas Gas is not a kids bike. Every component on it is virtually the same as the 300 except for the front fork diameter and the cylinder and flywheel. The rest is exactly the same. In fact, my 300 Gas Gas at 150 pounds wet weighs only 4 pounds more than my wife's 200. :bonk:

cool, thanks for the help. Any opinions on the gas gas. I'm pretty sure they are some of the lightest, but are there any complaints about the make in general?

I've had my '02 GasGas 280 for about 6 months now and no problems. There are some very good dealers and easy to get parts and technical information. Also, they seem to be the more popular bike at the amateur trials events I do.

It seems like the younger riders are able to deal with the bigger trials bikes straight off -- much more so then an old guy like me. Saying that anyone reading this should be able to learn to deal with a "big bore" trials bike after a few rides.

Listen to what 2PLY says above. He seems to be one of the most articulate and smarter people on the TT trials message board...

As far as a bike size, anything 250 and above is more than enough. I weigh 190 and have a GasGas 280, and it's more than enough for me. Depending on the brand you consider, I would think something in the 250 range is about right. I ride with guys the same size as me that have GG 200's, and they can ride most any section that the bigger bikes can. It's not all about the power, but understanding how to use what you have.

As far as the brand, I'm one to suggest the GasGas brand. Performance wise, they are a great bike due to their minimal size and weight. The engines seem pretty durable, and the power works great for trials. I hear stories about poor quality, but I ride with a group of people who all have them and no one ever seems to have any problems with them.

I would suggest going to a local event in CT. They have a few trials events in Meriden CT this year, might be worth checking out to see the different models. Check the net for scheduling.

My buddy is an expert level trials rider, won the westcost youth championship thing a couple years ago. Hes takes me riding and I ride one of his gasgas 200's. The power is nothing like a dirtbike's. Very mellow and torquey. Trials is way fun, but takes lots of practice. I'd get a 200 or 280, power is nothing to worry about, I actually wish they were faster but i'm used to a 450.

did i see age 14 ,perfect ! you still have no fear and your best yrs of riding are ahead of you .i have many bikes in my garage from a chopper to wr450 to ktm 400 and then over to my prize corner where you will see a vintage honda trials [2heavy4u] and my most recent purchase a 280 GG,from sept 2 the present i only missed a couple weekends (old guys dont heal as well)and i think i have rode the big bikes about 2 or 3 times.most rides were spent on the old tlr200 ,you wont believe how much trials riding will improve you woods riding ability .the 200 is always easier to ride than the 125 ,

OK, so here is the story: I have been browsing the net for days trying desperatly trying to find some dealers. Eventually I have a list, and make no less than 20 phone calls, and of all of those I got...nobody. Not one person answered their phone or returned the calls. So two days later, I'm pretty bummed when the phone rings. It is a guy who calls himself Rascal.

Supposedly, he was one of the pioneers of the sport in the northeast, and rode at events to try and sell gas gas's bikes for them. That was going great for him, he said, untill people started to buy overseas. Long story short- he was put out of buisness and has been in a 20 or so year hiatus. Now he still has close ties to gas gas and owns a small shop/dealership in MA. So I talked to him, and he said he will hook me up with a 2003 gas gas 280 pro. He also invited me and my father over to his place (where he has some obstacles and tons of riding area) to go ride some of his bikes with him. That same day, he says we should go and check out an event near his place. He has already sent me some pamphlets on the bike and a brocure of the events for the year.

Back to he bike though, he says it is never ridden, just sitting at a dealer buddie's place for years. He said he will get it to us for 4000 (which I gather isn't bad), but he also says that once you buy a bike from him, your always welcome to come ride at his place, and he will work on your bike for free if you bring it over. This guy sounds really cool, and I have no doubts after takling to him if it legit. He also said that around CT/MA there, there are about the same 50 people who you see at all of the events, so thats nice, it takes some of the pressure off you. I hope to have a bike by the 13th (my B-day), so watchout trials world, I have found your secret onderground societty and I will soon have a trials bike! :D:bonk: :bonk: :naughty:

a simple way to explain the trials crowd,after all the free service i received from sherco ,i went back to pick up a couple plugs for my fanny pack ,when iwent to pay 4 them .....no thanks we will send you a bill later....try that at your next motocross event.