Sign in to follow this  

07 450 Gas Gas or Sherco 510

I decided on the Sherco over the Gas Gas ,based on Sherco being 20 pounds lighter and the Sherco posts on TT. I also have an 04 Sherco 290 trials, and it's been a great bike. But now my Sherco dealer says it will be May before the 510 will be here. So now I might get the Gas Gas which Halls has on there floor and they are to call Clark next week to find out when a bigger tank will be out. Not sure I want to wait for the Sherco any longer. Is the Sherco worth the wait?:bonk:

In 05 I rode the Husky TE 450 and in 06 the Husky TE510. They are great bikes, but I'm looking for a wide ratio gear box this time. Also the fuel injection. The Gas Gas and Sherco do have both and I would have a good dealer close on both of these. They both have small fuel tanks, but Clark is talking to Gas Gas about making a bigger one. Not sure on the Sherco. Thinking I might go with the Gas Gas if that bigger tanks comes out soon. May delivery on the Sherco seems like light years away. What I want is the Sherco with a 3 gallon tank now.

I don't think U could go wrong on either bike. Since U have good shops nearby for each brand, it makes the decision more complicated. I own a '05 FSE and love this bike. It doesn't feel or act heavy at all, and it is heavier than the '07. A Clarke oversized tank would be an important item for me because we like to go out a long way and explore. Good luck on your decision.

MY FSR 07' is magic. Once you get things set how you like it you won't have eyes for anything else.

I have noticed a difference already in the engine/clutch and suspension settling during break in and I couldn't be happier.

Considering I have travelled 50km on 3 litres so you can get good milage outa it if you ride smooth fast trails.

I decided on the Sherco over the Gas Gas ,based on Sherco being 20 pounds lighter and the Sherco posts on TT. Not sure I want to wait for the Sherco any longer. Is the Sherco worth the wait?:naughty:

As long as you have a dealer that you like, IMO, that is one of the most important deciding factors in a bike purchase. Bikes are so close in performance that it turns into personal preference, just because a bike is lighter than another bike doesn't mean it's going to feel that way when you ride it and going by other riders opinions on TT is like reading a mag test, it just an opinion, it doesn't mean you will feel the same way. The Sherco and GasGas have both proven to be reliable bikes and good performers and you have a good dealer,not sure if it's worth thinking about to much.

I guess we could look at it like this, you could buy the GasGas now and like it or you could wait for the Sherco and have a bike that probably will treat you just the same but you lost time waiting for it.

Good luck on your decision, it's always fun picking up a brand new bike...:bonk:

On your 07 GasGas, did you have to adjust your steering stops to keep your fork from hitting the radiators? The stops are screwed all the way in and I can't seem to back them out or even break them loose.

As for the tank, Clarke says mid summer on the oversized tank and they are hoping to get an extra gallon.:naughty: At least they are doing one so I can wait until June or July.:bonk:

On your 07 GasGas, did you have to adjust your steering stops to keep your fork from hitting the radiators? The stops are screwed all the way in and I can't seem to back them out or even break them loose.

As for the tank, Clarke says mid summer on the oversized tank and they are hoping to get an extra gallon.:naughty: At least they are doing one so I can wait until June or July.:bonk:

Yes steering stops have been adjusted, I run Force Radiator guards as well but they dont limit steering hardly also.

Not sure I want to wait for the Sherco any longer. Is the Sherco worth the wait?:naughty:

Hmmmm.. Ummmm.. Lemme see.. YES!:bonk:

Yes steering stops have been adjusted, I run Force Radiator guards as well but they dont limit steering hardly also.

I finially got them adjusted. They were a bear to break loose.

You can make an 05/06 tank work on the 07 GG until they get one that is right.

What do you have to do to make them fit? Do you have any pictures?

Ok, I decided on waiting for the Sherco. It is on its way here now, some where out on the high sea's. Two more weeks they said. A couple of things I read on this bike that sold me. good low end lugging, low first gear, wide ratio gears, quiet, weight of bike, good parts supply by importer. I know the GG would have worked also, which made this a tough choice. Now, I need to carry more fuel when riding, and am looking for any advise on how best to do this. Not crazy about packing gas in my back pack, the extra weight throws my neck out after about 5 days of riding. thanks for all reply's

Hmmmm.. Ummmm.. Lemme see.. YES!:confused:

Hey... you're prejudice.

:excuseme:

Wait a minute... so am I.

:excuseme:

Now, I need to carry more fuel when riding, and am looking for any advise on how best to do this.

Welcome to Sherco World!!!

Don't worry too much... I've yet to get less than 90 miles from a tank. Not great, but not bad.

I've got feelers out with damn near every plastic tank maker on the planet... including Aqualine. So far, no cigar.

Be patient... a big tank will happen sooner or later.

Have fun,

C

When putting the Clarke tank on the 07 GG 450 the upper shroud screws dont line up where needed. I couldnt wait for tanks so i drilled the shrouds so they would work. It leaves extra holes in the shrouds but its better than along walk back to the truck. You also have to push the seat forward pretty hard. I dont know how to post pics. Nick

When putting the Clarke tank on the 07 GG 450 the upper shroud screws dont line up where needed. I couldnt wait for tanks so i drilled the shrouds so they would work. It leaves extra holes in the shrouds but its better than along walk back to the truck. You also have to push the seat forward pretty hard. I dont know how to post pics. Nick

My '05 did the same thing with the Clarke tank except my shrouds weren't far enough away to have to drill new holes, I had to make the holes a little bigger in the direction of the screw. I also have to push my seat really hard forward to get the screws in.

To post pics, go to the Pictures and Video forum and there is a sticky there explaining in detail what to do.

Hey... you're prejudice.

:prof:

Wait a minute... so am I.

:bonk:

I know. In fact, taking the 4.5 out in the snow today with Frank on his Sherco Factory Racing Ohlins-shod '08 :confused: