Sign in to follow this  

moving to a 250 thumper, I think?

I need to move to a thumper, I'm not fast enough to use a two stroke properly, I need something I can lug better

considering either a ktm 250 xcf-w or a crf250x

both have about the same seat hight, the only thing that scares me about the honda is the valve issues

anyone owned both?

insight/opinions?

I was gonna stick with a 200 or 250 pinger, ktm for sure, but my riding style tends to lug the engine more than a 2 stroke likes

all 5 cost about the same, crf, ktm, or the ktm pingers, so cost isnt really an issue

before I even ride anything I buy it'll get a flywheel weight, damper mount, and narrow bars

I weight 200 without gear, I should weight 175 but I carry a spare tire around, I hope to loose it this year

yamaha wr250 isnt on the list, it's too tall for me, I've never been a fan of the yamaha ergo's either

I found a 2005 crf250x with recluse and a few mods pretty cheap I might jump on that

can the ktm or the crf250x lug ok?

The bike would double as my wifes trail bike when we ride together, I'll ride my KX, or my XR400

Come on, I'm 11 and I can ride a 85 two stroke bored to 105 without a problem and have a blast. Plus two strokes are cheaper.

Come on, I'm 11 and I can ride a 85 two stroke bored to 105 without a problem and have a blast. Plus two strokes are cheaper.

C,mon he says he wants to lug it and a 250 dosnt lug that great, it can but not great. Maybe if you still like 2 strokes look at the ktm 300.

4 strokes are just as cheap if you get a trail one like he is getting, as long as you regularly mantience a bike it'll last.

I have tried multiple times to do these 5 diamond trails on my 125, I'm just too big for it

even with the 9oz flywheel weight, half way up the hill, hitting it WOT 1st gear I will stall out, I can usually feather the clutch and get up, but if it's wet, forget it

my choices are..

ktm 200, 250 two stroke

ktm 250, crf250x four stroke

sugestions?

I'm keeping my 125 for my wife to ride

If you can, get out and ride some of the different 250f's, they are all great, just pick the one you like the most.

They will all last if properly maintained - and I would get the Race version of the bike over the trail version, b/c of lighter weight and more HP.

Here are some suggestions:

-CRF250R

-YZ250F

-WR250F

-CRF250X

-etc.

Just get out there and ride them all if you can :bonk::naughty:

my son is 11, he's not 200 pounds without gear, like I am, and he can do most of the hills on his 65

I need to move to a thumper, I'm not fast enough to use a two stroke properly, I need something I can lug better

considering either a ktm 250 xcf-w or a crf250x

both have about the same seat hight, the only thing that scares me about the honda is the valve issues

anyone owned both?

insight/opinions?

I was gonna stick with a 200 or 250 pinger, ktm for sure, but my riding style tends to lug the engine more than a 2 stroke likes

all 5 cost about the same, crf, ktm, or the ktm pingers, so cost isnt really an issue

before I even ride anything I buy it'll get a flywheel weight, damper mount, and narrow bars

I weight 200 without gear, I should weight 175 but I carry a spare tire around, I hope to loose it this year

yamaha wr250 isnt on the list, it's too tall for me, I've never been a fan of the yamaha ergo's either

I found a 2005 crf250x with recluse and a few mods pretty cheap I might jump on that

can the ktm or the crf250x lug ok?

The bike would double as my wifes trail bike when we ride together, I'll ride my KX, or my XR400

Dont listen to that b.s hondas dont have vavle probs. If u maintain it rite. I no plenty of ppl that get 100hrs+ on their valves with hondas :bonk:

Dont listen to that b.s hondas dont have vavle probs. If u maintain it rite. I no plenty of ppl that get 100hrs+ on their valves. :bonk:

that's good to hear, sure are alot of posts about valve issues in the 250x forum though

I just checked on a xr250, they dont even make those anymore?

yea they dont make xr250's any more and havent for a few years, and they are underpowered compared to the new 250 thumpers, but you can lug the crap out of them.

If you want something that you can lug more, but the has similar power to a 125, I think a 250F would be a good idea.

Id personally go with the KTM. Honda has pretty much fixed their valve issues, but those KTMs are pretty much bulletproof.

You also might want to consider a 250 smoker. It will be similar to your 125, but with more lowend power and a lot more topend.

You can lug a 250 a lot more than a 125 and it will still have all the power you could need (and it will still be a lot simpler and cheaper to maintain than a 250F).

4700 $ for a new crf250x

not sure what I can get a ktm for, have not found one for sale yet

Megadeath-

I was just out on my 05’ crf250x this morning, I’m around 5’11” & 155 – 165. Last time out a buddy told me he thought I was winding it up a bit too much and to ride in a higher gear. I typically ride tech single track and my fear had always been that I wouldn’t have enough throttle response lugging it out. This morning I made a concerted effort to ride in higher gears and I’ve got to admit I was presently surprised. It had plenty of throttle response in the higher gears, not that I didn’t have to downshift in steep sections, but it didn’t lug out nearly as bad as I had feared.

and I would get the Race version of the bike over the trail version, b/c of lighter weight and more HP.

I agree. I would want to have the extra luggage. None of the stuff really serves a purpose besides the light. And its usually too weak anyways. Crf250R, get it!

what stuff you mean, the wide ratio tranny? I need that

also need the light, and barkbusters and all the woods stuff for single track east coast stuff

i'd just get a race thumper, throw some handguard/bark busters and a Petcock with reserve on it and call it good! you dont want lots of weight on any kind of bike unless you enjoy picking a heavy bike up off of yourself everytime you stack on a gnarly hill climb.

i'd just get a race thumper, throw some handguard/bark busters and a Petcock with reserve on it and call it good! you dont want lots of weight on any kind of bike unless you enjoy picking a heavy bike up off of yourself everytime you stack on a gnarly hill climb.

I sure dont, that's why I sold my wr400, and I dont take my xr400 on singletrack unless the kx is broken

that said, the 250R will cost too much to bring up to the X for trails, so I may as well buy the X

If you still like to ride two stokes get the KTM 300-I know its hard but if you can test ride both. I've had a CRF and didn't have any vavle issues-I believe maintenance is key for four stroke valve life. I prefer 4 strokes and would be happy on a 250f(own a 450)-a 450 would be better for your size.

I prefer a 4 stroke, but the maint has always put me off