Sign in to follow this  

First race tomorrow

:naughty: My first race tomorrow since early 1980, lol lol, 47 years old. I will be riding a 07 Honda 450 X, on a motocross track, I can't junp with a shit or turn, "how did I get to this point". :bonk: O well I just wont get in the way of anybody. So any sugestions out there for me, bike set up mind set up.

dont worry just hold your lines the faster people will get around you. make sure suspension is a bit stiffer than the trail settings and go have a good time

Enjoy your time sitting at the starting gate. I love the anticipation!

Ok I will respond to my own comment... I got lapped by the water truck, end of story, well I did get 4th cause the guy I beat went down hard, and was flown out I hope he's ok...

Ok I will respond to my own comment... I got lapped by the water truck, end of story, well I did get 4th cause the guy I beat went down hard, and was flown out I hope he's ok...

Yeah, but the water truck knew all the fast lines....:bonk:

At least you're racing......more than a lot of us can say. If you're having fun, then enjoy. My buddy tried arenacross with only about 4 mos. off-road experience. Both he and I were trippin' after the pre-race track walk and he seriously considered aborting before the race even started. :bonk: He followed through and with a bit of attrition and a whole lot of luck, finished second!

I think the hardest part of trying anything is getting past the first time. Nerves can wreak havoc on the best. I'll bet the next race you enter will be much more of a blast.

Way to go!:bonk::naughty::D

Just go have fun. Try not to worry about faster riders and what not. Just keep your heartrate down and stay calm. Keep your line and focus on whats ahead of you, not whos lapping you. Makes me think of when my dad went out and raced his first race on his xr600. Beat some guys on 450's and had a blast doing it. have fun and stick with it, you can only get faster.

so how does racing today compare with racing in the 1980s, is there a diffrence?

Congrats, think how much more comfortable you'll be next time out.

Everytime I go back to racing after several years off, I realize how much faster even the slowest guys have gotten.

The difference between 1980 and today other then the bikes, the motorhomes, toy haulers and big trucks. I had a homemade trailer, and o ya a 1974 Chevy Nova, I had a bumper rack for it.. DAM IAM OLD

I had my first race (after 35 years) last summer at a local county fair. I got passed by a guy with a tail light on his bike. Ugh! It was a blast though.

I've since attended a practice at a nice track about an hour and a half away (there are NO tracks in the Nashville metro area). I was amazed at how slow I was and how fast everyone else was. I really wondered what the heck I was doing out there.

At my age, it takes me a while to get comfortable with doubles, whoops, etc. (I guess that's another way of saying I'm just too darn scared of getting hurt.)

I told my wife that any thoughts of me racing again were past. Instead, I'll keep using my friend's nice backyard track where (in my mind, at least) I can turn some hot laps.

My new motto: Have fun and ride within your limits. Come to think of it, that's probably good advice for anyone.