Sign in to follow this  

starter idle gear(driven gear)assembly order ?

Does anyone know the correct order from crankcase out 1) shim(washer) , circlip , shim , gear , sidecase ? 2) shim , circlip , gear , shim , side case ? 3) circlip , shim, gear, shim, side cover? I had to pick them up off the street after crash with s.u.v. thanks in advance

I think you must be talking about the kickstart "drive" gear not the "idler" gear. The "drive" gear is on the kick start shaft. The "idler" gear is on the end of the countershaft under the retainer plate.

Assy order starting with a bare shaft. Kick start drive gear, thrust washer, retaining ring, the ratchet piece with the internal splines (line up the timing marks), spring, washer. Then that assy plugs into the case. Trun it CW so the ratchet is disengaged. Install the return spring and spring guide (the thing that goes inside the spring). Wind the spring (1/4 - 1/2 turn whatever it is) and put the bent over spring end in the hole in the case.

Sorry for the confusion it is the e-start idle gear or the gear which is driven by the starter assembly, anyway once I phyicaly tried all the combinations the correct order was obvious , shims on either side of the circlip the shaft decreses in dia. past the gear and wouldn't center the shim.

I have this problem as well. A lot of time has passed since this old post. I have a 2007 DRZ400s. Can anyone confirm if this is still understood to be the correct order?

washer, spring clip, gear, washer, case cover?

I would expect the second washer is there to stop the gear from rubbing on the case cover.

Thanks for any help you can share.

I have this problem as well. A lot of time has passed since this old post. I have a 2007 DRZ400s. Can anyone confirm if this is still understood to be the correct order?

washer, spring clip, gear, washer, case cover?

I would expect the second washer is there to stop the gear from rubbing on the case cover.

Thanks for any help you can share.

Have a look in the DRZ FAQ, pictures included.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634403

Washer ,clip, washer, gear, case. See posts 4 and 7 above. No washer between the gear and case. Odd I know.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I really wanted to be certain on this. Bad enough I already put the bike back together before I found the washer on the floor. I didn't want to dump another batch of oil and assembly this wrong as well.

Too bad this info isn't readily known. I found that microfiche online yesterday and two bike shops I called pulled up the same info (wrong order) and instructed me to install washer between gear and case cover...

Thanks again.

It may be possible that Suzuki intended the shims to go washer, clip, gear, washer, case as would seen intuitive but both washers have the same part number and therefore the same ID so they have to go washer, clip, washer, gear, case. Otherwise the washer could fall of the lager OD of the shaft and get pinched between the end of the shaft and the case. Who knows at this point. Washer, clip, washer, gear, case is the accepted practice and it works. The gear only spins with the starter motor so wear is not a big concern.

Well either way I'm glad I can assemble now and not worry about it.

thanks again

I have just installed a new stator on my 2001e model. I did the locktite fixes. When i removed the starter clutch/gear there was a flat shim (washer), on the engine side and the cover side. That being said im having a bear of a time getting the unit back into the case. It goes in up to the o ring and then i cant get it to seat in. Can anyone fill m i on this operation? Thanks in advance Mitch.