Sign in to follow this  

340 gearing

Just got my 340 kit installed, lightened the flywheel, & a set of cams..:naughty::D First time I rode it I realized that I needed to gear it up so I went back to a 14 tooth on the front. It still feels like it needs a little more. Thumper suggests going down 2 to 3 teeth on the rear. What do you all suggest and what kind of money does a rear sprocket cost??:bonk:

It all depends on the type of ridiing you do. With the tight stuff we ride, we kept it at 13/50 and sometimes 14/50 for the more open stuff. A rear sproket will run you anywhere from $15 to $80 depending on what you choose. I like Ironman, but they last much longer than the chain/CS sproket and I always change them out together so.....a cheaper rear sproket for me next time.

Trail riding is all I do.. Chadwick mostly, southern missouri, Lots of hills and lots of rocks.. Not much open space. I go to Kentucky the first of may to ride & I am just trying to fine tune..

If it's tight, rocky and slow going I would suggest the 14/50. If you have some nice open trails where you can pick up some speed I would try dropping 3 to 5 teeth in the rear. I just went with a 15/47 and it made a very noticeable difference, I'll probably be riding in second and third as compared to third and fourth before with the 14/50 setup.

Well....to each his own, but that's the opposite direction that 90% of klxr's go when changing gearing although that's changed a bit with more users riding street on the 250S. Mostly we run stock 14/50 for wide open or 13/50 for tight. BTW, 13/50 puts the engine in a really nice torquey range for riding whoops and keeping the front end light at speed. Personally I can't imagine riding a KLX with 15/47 - especially a 250. I don't think I could pick up the front end in 3rd if I had to.

Well I rode it for the first time last night, I went up to 14 in front and left the back alone. I was extremely happy with it, the 340 was still alot more torqey with gearing it up. I was very pleased... :bonk::naughty: I can't wait to ride some more...

I have a 15 front and stock rear. Good for everything.

Sort of a thread jack here, but it's in context. I recently purchased an '03 KLX 400 w/ 2 sets of wheels. I had to immediately replace the chain and did so while swapping the street wheels off and the knobbies on. Adjusted the chain to about position 3 on the rear axle "hooks". Just now put the street wheels back on and there's a lotta slack w/ the adjustment clear around to 6+.

Looks like the street sprocket is 47 and the dirt is 49. I see earlier replies to 50 tooth rear. Will 2 teeth cause that much chain slack? Did I screw myself by cutting the new chain to fit the larger sprocket?

Possibly, I run longer than stock chains on all my bikes; I like the increased stability and the way the bike steers with the wheel further back. My KLX, WR, and CR-500 all have longer chains. There is less traction but the trad-off is worth it for me.