Sign in to follow this  

TTR-125 Carb mods--so it will not be SO cold blooded

Hi All,

I bought a 2005 TTR-125 for my daughter--boy is it cold blooded--I've been looking at some old threads (TTR-125 jetting and airbox--a visual guide by ovrride, YZ-80 carb modification--in a thread called --the killer question TTR-125 carb I hate them) The visual guide job doesn't look too hard, but would doing something else be better?--YZ 80 carb?--BBR card kit?--My friend is a old MX cycle mechanic and I am sure he would help me--Thanks Brian

I can honestly say that the BBR carb kit does make the bike easier to start, run better, rev out better, and no more cable-choke seizure issues, too.

Downside-they ain't cheap-I'd look for a YZ 80 carb if I had it to do all over again.

I would get a 200x or XR200 carb off ebay. They are more available than a YZ80 carb and easier to jet. On a supermoto track they run about the same, although we haven't gotten the yz80 carb to work 100% for a true test. The xr2000 ir the carb BBR sells and for a stock motor the 200x carb works great. The only real issue with them is you can't use the stock cable or throttle.

If your just looking for it to start easier for your daughter, go up 1 or 2 sizes on the pilot jet and it will start much easier. They come way too lean from the factory.

Thanks--I think I will try Ovrride's mods---the pilot jet insight is good to hear for this novice--nice to know I'm on the right track--trying to have it run 'less lean'---bought some new jets--main and pilot--I saw one other thing in Ovrride's thread--un bolting the cap of the tailpipe and putting 1/4 inch washers between the end of the tailpipe and the 'cap' and then re-bolting(I know these are not the right terms)--any thoughts---as for the pilot jet would the 17.5 or the 20 be better--I live in Maine--someone mentioned in another thread that the 20 would be better--thanks Brian

had the same prob...stock carb sucks......took socalxr"s advice and got a 200x or 24 mm keihin round slide, same carb, bike starts first crank w/o the choke pulls better on the low end...not much difference in the hi end......but there so easy to jet.....and my bike never idled well with the stock carb . idle is fab with the 200x carb ....got 2 for 25.00 off of ebay both were good but i just sent the other one to smartt this week ,,,,,need a bbr adapter and .a cr cable ...i used a yz cable...but to do that you have to slightly mod the top of the carb easy mod and you can use the stock trottle with the yz cable......my bike just has a pipe and uni filter rejetted.

I did all the free mods and rejetted. I also managed to drill out and remove the inner baffle of the stock exhaust. If you drill a few holes in the end cap so that they are inside of the spark arrestor screen, it will have the same effect as putting washers under the spark arrestor screws. Your choice.

If you have bad welds (like I did) around the exhaust port end of the exhaust, you can smooth them out with a dremel or air tool.

All the above made a great difference in the feel of the bike. Engine feels a lot stronger everywhere.

Socalxr and John4ct mention a new carb might be better (200x)--Socalxr mentioned needing to change the throttle and cable--is that a difficult (or expensive) job? This is all good stuff and I appreciate the advice for this newbie--Brian

had the same prob...stock carb sucks......took socalxr"s advice and got a 200x or 24 mm keihin round slide, same carb, bike starts first crank w/o the choke pulls better on the low end...not much difference in the hi end......but there so easy to jet.....and my bike never idled well with the stock carb . idle is fab with the 200x carb ....got 2 for 25.00 off of ebay both were good but i just sent the other one to smartt this week ,,,,,need a bbr adapter and .a cr cable ...i used a yz cable...but to do that you have to slightly mod the top of the carb easy mod and you can use the stock trottle with the yz cable......my bike just has a pipe and uni filter rejetted.

if you decide to go that route pm me and ill send you a pic of whats done. the cr cable i think just fits every thing and can be gotten off of ebay for cheap socalxr i think did it that way he could prob tell you for sure about the fitment...i used a yz cable ...... needs slight mods ....mods are easy to make it work

With the XR200 carb... how are you jetting them? Now you got me listening.

I've rejetted and piped, but still have a real leaner on startup. Going any richer tends to cause issues at running temps, so this sounds like the right fix.

Thanks to john4ct, I now have a 200x carb. I am thinking of running a 30 pilot, and 125 main. Not sure what the others are running. Im just guessing.

Opening the airbox, re-jetting the Mikuni, and an aftermarket pipe was all it took to rid our TTR 125 of its cold-bloodedness.

Even after not starting for 2 weeks, all it needs is choke on, e start, then choke off right away, and she's purring like a kitten.

i did the same thing to mine and it did start easier and run better...117 pilot and a 110 main but i dont have e start and the choke was a pain it the rear. mine had less than 20 hrs on it when i bought it...and it never idled like it does now and more low end .big difference....im a little confused about the jets though. i have original 200x jets 110 is what im running and a 40 pilot 110 and 117 in the original socalxr said to try a 128/130 but my 115 was to rich. im wondering if the jet numbers are different on different brands of jets newer jets. im sure his ran well with those jets ....but there is no way we could be that far apart with the same motor and carb ......i thought he said his was stock bore at the time plus , i have a new 120 and doesnt seem to be that much bigger than my 110 old style , if at all ....so if any one can shed some light on this ....please do

im at sea level . thats a good combination for me. it may work for you as well with the cam. but i know your up there in elev. prob a good place to start. let me know how it turns out . i think your going to like that carb. simple and easy to work with.