Sign in to follow this  

Quicksteel?

After riding my DR650 for a while as a motard I finally obtained a second wheelset to use just as "dirt wheels". I spooned on some knobbies and went for a test ride on some dirt roads near my house. There was a rocky stream crossing, that was a little deeper and rockier than I thought it would be. Shortly after I saw I was leaking oil and found a small hole in my crank case.

Its not on a seem, its off to the left alittle. A friend of mine told me to "patch it, put a skid plate on it and sell it."

I really like this bike and wanted several more years, (at least) from it. I have a thing of quicksteel, but I've never used it. I was gonna try it and hope for the best.

Any body have any advice w/ this stuff?

If it works I'll def get a good bash plate.

I patched a hole in a friend's DR 350 using a produnct called Lab Metal. You can usually find it at a welding supply house or Fastenal. Worked real well. Apply it in thin layers, and once built up, grind flat with the case and you will never see the crack or hole. Years ago, even repared a cracked engine block in a Nissan truck.

Congratulations on the wheels. I have used two products, JB Weld and Marine Tek. Both are two part epoxies and while JB seems inferior it is more available and in smaller quantites. Use the Quicksteel after degreasing like crazy. But you knew that already. My tip is to add metal to the patch like rebar in concrete. I use beer can aluminum that I hole punch into creating a thin flexible peforated metal; put down a layer of epoxy, add metal, then another layer of epoxy. If the hole is much bigger than 3/8 inch I would try to epoxy in a plug before the patch. How about Heliarc welding? Good luck.

Seems like your main problem will be getting the oil off first. I repaired the clutch cover of my XL200R using metal filled epoxy. It was a huge 3" by 3" hole, I had nine major pieces. It's held up real well, even taking another bad hit without shattering, Good luck

Thanks guys, I'm gonna give it a go today.

Please don't even consider just patching it and putting on a skid plate and then selling it to anyone without telling them what happened. How would your "friend" feel if he ever bought a bike like that?

Please don't even consider just patching it and putting on a skid plate and then selling it to anyone without telling them what happened. How would your "friend" feel if he ever bought a bike like that?

Yeah its bad karma

So far it is a sucess! With a short test ride...

If I were to sell it, I'd be honest about it. That would be pretty crappy not to, even if the guy never had any problems w/ it.

(nobody would want to buy my bike anyway, I did my own spray paint job and it looks like crap!)

Yes please don't do that. We may all be dirty, muddy and a little dusty on this thread, but were honest. :bonk: Well most of us anyway.

Fix your baby. I used some JB weld back in the 80's on my IT250 and it held up good. I had to glue a chunk back on the chain knocked off. I usually scraped it off and replaced it every few months.

There are some people out there that can do amazing stuff with welders these days. I think I would look for one of them 1st. And use the glue as a last resort.