Sign in to follow this  

Oil for bike/car?

I am looking for a good oil that I can run in my bikes engine/tranmission, and one that willl also work well in a 01 ford ranger and an 02 ford explorer, any one have one they use with good results?

there are differences. I do know this though: you can go to walmart, pick up a bottle of super tech for $1.83, and use it in your bike. CHANGE EVERY RIDE! I don't know if the super tech will work in your truck, it is TYPE F, ATF.

Amsoil makes some of teh best oil around for all applications. They have a thing where you pay 20$ a year and every purchase you make from there website is at dealer cost..

Are you trying to find 1 oil that you can run in both your car and bike? Im pretty sure the shell rotella is made for diesle trucks ( as i read that on the bottle) and everyone loves it in there bike also with no issues...check out that stuff, plus its really cheap at wallmart

Just do your reserch befor you buy...Alot of car oils have lots of additives that you shouldnt use in your motorycle

Why do you want the put the same oil in everything you own?

That's what I'm thinking...I use motorcycle-specific oil in my dirtbikes, and automotive oil in my truck. They have different additives for a reason.

just my own personal experience, maybe i'm just a stubborn redneck, but i've used regular quaker state 10-30 since i've been ridin (about 24 yrs) and have never had a problem. the only time i've smoked a motor (twice) was due to a water pump failure.

Some great basic oil info: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

You did say "good", not "cheapie"....right???? And, I hope you aren't looking for the same oil to run in both your bike and trucks, because that isn't a great idea.......

For the bike, run an API SG/JASO MA motorcycle specific oil. Personally, I like Maxima's products. Their Extra ester synthetic is my choice. http://www.maximausa.com/

For the trucks, Redline ester synthetic. http://www.redlineoil.com/

I've run Redline in both car and bike before with great results. Its rated for both applications though, most auto oils are not.

Use motorcycle oil in your bike and car oil in your truck, end of problems, use what you are supposed to... The motorcycle specific oils are higher quality and will protect components better, so why not use them in your car/truck if you have the money?

Here are some suggestions, but always keep in mind to change your oil often, every 3-4 hours, and high quality synthetics every 6-7 hours.

-Pennzoil outdoor motorcycle 10w40

-Amsoil full synthetic motorcycle 10w40 (MCF) or 20w50 (MCV)

-Maxima Maxum 4, synthetic belnd, or full synthetic

-Torco T4-MXR

-Belray thumper racing 20w50

-etc.

It would be great for your car/truck engine to run motorcycle oils, but the additives will toast your catalytic converter. Here in Calif you have to get emissions levels checked every couple of years.....I can't see paying for a new converter that often.......

idf johnny-Redline engine oils have a very hefty amount of MOLY in them, and there is no way they are rated JASO MA for use in a motorcycle with an integrated transmission. Even Redline would not recommend them for a wet clutch.....and it sure isn't "rated for both applications"! Give Redline a call if you don't believe me.....

Redline engine oil would however be a great choice for the ENGINE side of a Honda 450/250/150. Redline does recommend their ShockProof Gear Oil for the TRANSMISSION side (or in a 2-stroke trans).

on my cars (all bmw's) and my bikes (multiple) I run rotella 15w40 I really like the stuff

pingers get mobil 1 two stroke oil

I swear, I think these oil threads realy bring out the self-appointed experts. Who in their right mind really thinks that a certain oil will burn up the catalytic converter in your car? The converter is part of the exhaust, which sees only burned gas, unless you forgot to install oil rings on the pistons in your truck, there's no possible way any type of oil will do anything to your converter. I swear, sometimes people really don't think before they type. In the past I've read that using anything less than bike-specific oil is just asking for trouble and will lead to certain destruction. BS! I've never, ever had an oil-related failure in over 35 years of riding and racing and I've never used motorcycle-only oil. What do I use? On my current CRF450, I use the same 10w-40 I use in my truck, my suburban, my '68 Mustang, my '88 Mustang and my wife's '69 Corvette. When I rode two-strokes, I used ATF in the trans, but now I find it easier to just use the exact same 10w-40 oil in both the engine side and the trans. Why not? My Honda manual says it's ok and I'm pretty sure they know just a bit more than pretty much anyone posting here. The secret is really no secret at all, change it often, no matter if you're using car-type motor oil or $10 per quart synthetic bike oil, after all the real reaon to change oil is to get all the crap away from the bearings and rotating assembly, oil does NOT wear out, it just gets filthy.

I swear, I think these oil threads realy bring out the self-appointed experts. oil does NOT wear out, it just gets filthy.

Perhaps you should take your own advice. Not all oil is the same and oil DOES wear out. Over time oil starts to break down and loses its viscosity.

Personally, I would never run the same oil in your truck and in your bike. They are 2 different engines that have very different needs when it comes to oil.

Why run 10w-30 in your truck? You wont get any added engine protection and you will get more wear at startup and force your engine to work harder. I suggest whatever the manufacturer of your truck suggested (which should be either 5w-30 or 5w-20).

Why run 10w-30 in your bike? Thats really too thin of an oil for today's high-revving, high-heat thumpers. I personally wouldnt run anything thinner than 20w-40.

I dont understand how someone will go out and spend $30,000 on a truck and $7,000 on a bike yet they will try to save a few bucks on oil. It just doesnt make sense to me. :bonk:

I run the 15W-40 Rotella in everything that I own. That is 2 bikes an 93 F150 with the I6, and two Jag XJ6's. It works for me, but it is not for everyone. Many modern engines are really designed for thinner oil. However, one reason for the thinner oils is that it slightly improves gas mileage. I also live in comparably warm southern California. The 15W might be too thick for colder regions in the winter.

Octane250F, my main statement is this: have YOU EVER HAD AN OIL-RELATED FAILURE DUE TO USING CAR OIL IN A BIKE? I see by your sig you'e obviously a huge oil commercial fan, but don't believe everything you hear on TV.

zookeper-You have certainly shown that you are not well imformed. A decade ago, car oils were API SG and contained large amounts of ZDDP (high pressure additives). When the catalytic converter came along, the ZDDP had to be removed BECAUSE IT POISONS THE CATALYST IN THE CONVERTER. Dirt bikes don't have converters, so they are (lucky for us) still able to contain those additives that protect high pressure ares like the transmission gears and cam!

You could have done some research and found this info in a hundred different places before you did your post....and demonstrated your ignorance! Like: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=518&pagetitle=Motor%20Oils%20-%20Fuel%20Economy%20vs.%20Wear

And oil DOES WEAR OUT....is there no end to your BS???

Octane250F, my main statement is this: have YOU EVER HAD AN OIL-RELATED FAILURE DUE TO USING CAR OIL IN A BIKE? I see by your sig you'e obviously a huge oil commercial fan, but don't believe everything you hear on TV.

Actually, umm, yeah. Ive heard of many clutch issues caused by using car oil in bikes. Car oil is not designed for use with a wet clutch. It makes the clutch slip and basically burns the clutch up. :bonk:

As for my sig, no Im not really a fan of the oil companies, but I love the saying. There is nothing like the rumble of a V8.