Sign in to follow this  

Easiest/Cheapest way to make a DR650 have torque similar to a DRZ400?

I've been test riding the DRZ400, DR650, and KLR650 to see which would work best for my needs (Mostly off-road/dirt road/limited highway riding but street legal to avoid LEO harrassment and drive from place to place).

I'm a big guy (6'1", 380lbs, 30" inseam) and none of the bikes bitched about my weight at any time. All could do highway speeds without stress and none of them seemed to bitch one way or the other moving my fat ass on some roads with a lot of gravel/stone. But all things considered I liked pieces of the DR650 and pieces of the DRZ400.

The DRZ400 had a lot of snap in the first three gears, and ate up the pavement without hesitation. It have me the impression of "What are we waiting for?" every time I twisted the throttle. On the DR650 it was much more comfortable moving faster on the street, but did not have any snap at all; it even gave me the impression that it would stall at times if I didn't feed it gas.

I'm really looking at the DR650, but given how I plan to ride the bike I'm concerned about the lack of torque and idle speed. Now I know that the bike needs to have it's idle readjusted after it comes from the factory, and I assume that the DR650 can be just as snappy as the DRZ. So what's the best way to get that same response out of a DR650?

The 650's put out much more torque than a drz400. The DRZ's responsiveness can be contributed to shorter gear ratios in it's gear box. The 650 with a jet kit and modded air box is an animal compared to the stock of either model. If you want even more low end grunt, pipe and drop a tooth on the coutershaft sprocket and the local diesel driver's may be looking for your DR650 to help pull trailers :bonk:

I've been test riding the DRZ400, DR650, and KLR650 to see which would work best for my needs (Mostly off-road/dirt road/limited highway riding but street legal to avoid LEO harrassment and drive from place to place).

I'm a big guy (6'1", 380lbs, 30" inseam) and none of the bikes bitched about my weight at any time. All could do highway speeds without stress and none of them seemed to bitch one way or the other moving my fat ass on some roads with a lot of gravel/stone. But all things considered I liked pieces of the DR650 and pieces of the DRZ400.

The DRZ400 had a lot of snap in the first three gears, and ate up the pavement without hesitation. It have me the impression of "What are we waiting for?" every time I twisted the throttle. On the DR650 it was much more comfortable moving faster on the street, but did not have any snap at all; it even gave me the impression that it would stall at times if I didn't feed it gas.

I'm really looking at the DR650, but given how I plan to ride the bike I'm concerned about the lack of torque and idle speed. Now I know that the bike needs to have it's idle readjusted after it comes from the factory, and I assume that the DR650 can be just as snappy as the DRZ. So what's the best way to get that same response out of a DR650?

I think the best way to get a DR650 to have the torque of a DRZ400 is to put a plug in the muffler! :naughty: My stock jetted DR650 has way more low end than my son's DRZ400S. IMHO of course. Properly jetted, and geared, the 650 is going to out torque the 400 regardless of the DRZ's newer persona. Just a few carb adjustments can make a substaintial difference on the DR650 and if you do a bit more with jetting kits the difference is truly impressive. Certainly the gearing will make a huge improvement in the "snap in the first three gears" you are asking about. Nothing really expensive to buy but it does require a little mechanical knowledge to get them set-up correctly. You will find a ton of information on this forum and plenty of people to help you should you run into problems. Now, your "Mostly Off Road".... are you talking fire road type off road or more serious stuff like tight trails or whooped out sections. The answer to this question is where your limitation will show for one particular bike over the other. Both of them will need springs for your weight to give you the best shot of enjoying the ride. The DRZ is the better "mostly off-road" choice but if your "mostly off road" consists mostly of fire roads then the DR with the bigger engine would be my choice. :bonk:

search for "jet kit"

:bonk:

and "exhaust"

if your looking for snap, a jetted and piped DR is right up your alley!

you may wanna search for springs too, while your at it. i'm close to your size and stock DR suspension aint worth a flip for anyone over 200 lbs. a set of springs will turn your scooter into a planted and capable steed! :naughty:

I think the best way to get a DR650 to have the torque of a DRZ400 is to put a plug in the muffler!

:bonk: lol hahahha yeah as the old saying goes "theres no replacement for displacement"

Thanks for all the responses.

I don't plan on changing the stock muffler. NYS laws regarding aftermarket exhausts are pretty draconian, and I'd prefer to sacrifice power for quiet. There's no need to add to the noise issues that are already causing land to be shut down to OHV access.

I agree that the spring needs to be replaced, but I'm not planning to do that in the near future. My plan is to replace the tires with D606s or Kendas (Not sure which way to go yet), replace the seat with a Russel (Now 10 weeks out for an order :bonk: ) and get the low end grunt. Would it make sense to re-jet the DR650 first or go for the other sprocket? I want to do mods one at a time to meet my needs.

My mostly off-road riding will be mostly fire roads and some trail riding. My dirt experience is way too old to be useful so I'm going to be starting over. With no classes anywhere that I can find in the area I'm going to have to learn the hard way. :naughty:

Thanks again for the help.

Would it make sense to re-jet the DR650 first or go for the other sprocket?

the carb jetting is free(if you can find a small washer or two for the needle).. the snorkel removal is free, the header weld grind is free, the slide drilling mod is free, some preload spacers for the forks can be free or close to it, and will get you by till your wallet feels better about springs and a 1 tooth smaller sprocket is maybe 8 bucks.. with just these mods, your DR will feel totally different... total investment maybe 1-1/2 hours and $9

I've owned both bikes in stock form, sounds like there is something wrong with the DR you tested.

"theres no replacement for displacement"

Ain't that the truth.....

A skid plate and a $55 jet kit would be a great start......

The air box mod and jet kit un-corked the 650 big time for more Snap-age:ride:

Dynojet1Dr650.JPG