Sign in to follow this  

Countershaft seal leaks BAD

hey guys, as you can see from my name, i'm a honda guy, but my dad has a 2000 DRZ400, and it sprung a bad oil leak from the countershaft seal. i was wondering if you guys could assist me in locating a new seal for it, as well as give any hints to removing the old one. thanks a bunch for any insight.

Josh

If you look on E-Bay you will find a stainless steel spacer and seal kit for sale.

It comes complete with a new seal and "O" ring, a simple job, just pull the old seal out and push the new one in.

No need to split crank cases or anything like that, took me about half an hour.

And when you fit the seal it's a good time to do the Loctite fix on the sprocket as well.

Neil. :bonk::naughty::D

Is the current one loose? My nut backed off ever so slightly and oil came pouring out. I tightened her up and no more leak!

Dan

um actually i think the nut fell off.......which could be the problem, but its at the point now, where i might as well replace it. its easy enough to do. thanks for the help so far guys.

I had my counter shaft nut come loose twice resulting in the described leak. Just like DJCDRZ says use the proper tightening technique including locktite and your Dad's problem solved. Do a search and you will find detailed instructions how to do it.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

I had my counter shaft nut come loose twice resulting in the described leak. Just like DJCDRZ says use the proper tightening technique including locktite and your Dad's problem solved. Do a search and you will find detailed instructions how to do it.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

do you think i should just put the nut on and tighten it to see if it stops?

Give it a shot. Take the sprocket off. Make sure the seal sleeve behind the sprocket is still there. Slide the sleeve into place on the shaft as far as it will go rotating as you go thru the seal. Red Loctite on the splines, sprocket, NEW lock washer, Red Loctite on the threads, NEW nut. Tighten to 80 ft lb. Check for free rotation of th countershaft after the nut is tight. Bend the lockwasher against the nut 1 place.

Give it a shot. Take the sprocket off. Make sure the seal sleeve behind the sprocket is still there. Slide the sleeve into place on the shaft as far as it will go rotating as you go thru the seal. Red Loctite on the splines, sprocket, NEW lock washer, Red Loctite on the threads, NEW nut. Tighten to 80 ft lb. Check for free rotation of th countershaft after the nut is tight. Bend the lockwasher against the nut 1 place.

well it still seeps a bit, so i'm gonna order him that new seal kit from ebay, but i have to ask why a new nut?

and is there any other place you guys know of that would have the new seal? don't really want to have it shipped overseas, if i don't have to.

I have a full set , seal,oring, spacer, nut and lock washer everything(original packaging), and I'd sell all for $35 plus shipping, But by the time you sent me a check you could probably order it.

I lost mine, and oiled down the rear tire on a supermoto ride. :bonk:

After some loctite, I even saftey wired it. Afraid of that one happening again.

NO paypal, but I do have the parts (orginal suzuki NEW) in my hand

If you like, B.Mckenzie@mail2world.com, I'll give you the address to mail check. Not sure of your timeframe , but price wise that should be a pretty good deal

NO paypal, but I do have the parts (orginal suzuki NEW) in my hand

If you like, B.Mckenzie@mail2world.com, I'll give you the address to mail check. Not sure of your timeframe , but price wise that should be a pretty good deal

sent you an email. he's in no hurry so this will be great. thanks for all your help guys.

New lock washer? Because the teeth that engage the splines wear off.

New nut? Because when it falls off, it is hard to find. Also, the theads wear out if it has been loose for a while.

New lock washer? Because the teeth that engage the splines wear off.

New nut? Because when it falls off, it is hard to find. Also, the theads wear out if it has been loose for a while.

i still had all the stuff, and the teeth were still on the washer, but i'll feel better once its all new again.

okay you should recieve the email, I sent 2 , I corrected a typo