Sign in to follow this  

E/K Headlight Mod Pics Inside

Hey Ya'll,

If you've ever had the opportunity to ride an E or K model DRZ 400 on the road at night, then you would understand what it's like to drive nearly blind hoping that nothing gets in your way. Off road it is not much better, the stock E/K headlight sucks bad. Well I've been doing research here at Thumper Talk hoping to find a solution that wouldn't add a lot of weight, and still remain at least as stylish and good looking as the stock headlight shroud. Until recently an answer that suited me had been elusive. The Cyclops was close, but too many posted negatives about that light, and it needed modifying too. The other available options looked too dated even though they might in some cases perform well. TT'er Karmolis, who happens to be from Finland, posted up his mod that got my attention. Using a DOT headlight housing with an H4 bulb in the stock E/K shroud keeping the appearance stock, but improving the headlight's performance dramatically. Now that I've completed the mod to my bike and tested it I thought that I'd share the details of how it's done. Karmolis didn't solve all the problems in his post, but he pointed me in the right direction.

Step one call Baja Designs and order a "KTM Upgrade" (fits '94 and older KTMs) headlight with the bulb of your choice. I had originally asked for the semi legal 55/100 watt bulb, but then decided to go with the 80/80 watt bulb. The stock 150 watt stator on the Kicker(200w on the E) has no problem running the 80/80 watt bulb. The 55/65 watt bulbs are the max legally allowed, but the DRZ's headlights sit up high and they have to point down to the road. After riding to work every night for a week I have not been flashed by a single car that thought my light was on high beam and too bright. Worst case I get a fix it ticket and go put a 55/65w bulb in it. I also ordered a on/off/kill switch which is as narrow as the common dirt bike kill switch.

Step two follow Karmolis' instructions to modify the stock shroud.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3242860#post3242860

More trimming on the inside of the shroud to make room for the spacers will be required.

Step three go to your local Ace Hardware store(or equivalent) to the back where they keep the bins with bolts and nuts and whatnot. You'll need 4 machine screws, nylock nuts, and nylon spacers. I used stainless steel hardware. The only screws that were long enough, and skinny enough were Philips head, though I would have preferred button style Allen head bolts they didn't have any long and skinny enough. Take you new Baja Designs headlight with you(careful don't drop) or at least one of the little black plastic pieces that is for mounting the headlight. You'll need 4 machine screws 1.5 inches long that don't quite fit into the little black plastic pieces. I was able to use the m.screw to tap threads into the plastic part with a screwdriver in the hardware store. If you find the right size m.screws they will screw into the black part without drilling. The nylon spacers(4) are nearly one inch (see photo) and the 4 nylock nuts that match the screws. The 1.5 inch long m.screws are just barely long enough to fit. There were several choices of nylon spacers. I liked the ones that were already tapped with threads for a thicker screw because they were a little bigger around the outside. These spacers were big enough to slide over the 1.5 inch screws without screwing them on.

Step four use masking tape to cover the inside of the shroud where the holes will be drilled. The B/D headlight will fit in the shroud (once trimmed). You can use a piece of coat hanger wire dipped in paint to poke through the little black plastic pieces to get the holes marked. This requires care and the hard part is getting them perfectly even. The first picture shows that mine are just slightly off to one side. Take your time and you will be able to get them close enough to work. Drill your 4 holes. Screw the screws through the shroud then the spacers go on, then screw through the black plastic and nylock nuts at the same time. The little black plastic part allows you to aim the headlight by using a 10mm wrench to losen the bolt that hold them to the headlight. It took me a few times to get it aimed right, but it was so worth it.

Allans332.jpg

Look between the yellow plastic and the lense, you can see the nylon spacers.

Allans340.jpg

The following pic of hardware includes a 6mm bolt on the left for comparison.

Allans351.jpg

Here you can see the "Little Black Plastic Piece" and the bolt the is used to aim the light.

Allans336.jpg

Sorry It's blurry but you can see the threads in the black plastic piece that I was able to tap with the right size machine screw.

Allans352.jpg

Thank you to Karmolis for inspiring me to do this. It works great. I hope my post will help you.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

I have not recieved the switch yet because I ordered them seperately but here are pics.

Stock style kill switch.

Allans349.jpg

Baja Designs Off/On/High/Kill switch on my friend's KTM.

Allans350.jpg

I'll be using the kill switch as a horn button because I have a kill on the other side.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

What did the ("KTM Upgrade" headlight with the bulb) cost from BD?

Nobel, on the bajadesign site, 55/60w is about 50 bucks and the 80/80 says 80bucks. Greenblazer, really nice write up!! I ordered a light from baja last week for this exact mod. Karmolis helped me with the part number 600002 and the light you installed is a diff part number. Any idea if one light is larger then the other? I see you have the CE running light in the unit you have. Since the one i ordered hasn't shipped yet, I'll have to give them a call on Monday.

Greenblazer,

That was quite clever idea how you made the lamp adjustable! I think i'm going to nick your design..

Those 4 machine screws could also be used to fit a lens protector. I'm thinking plexiglass (acrylic glass)

I also think that you don't have to cut the sides at all. And i would use washers with those machine screws.

OR, you could make 4 L-shaped strips and mount the "black plastics" (see 4th picture from Greenblazers first post) inside the shroud without drilling visible holes to the shroud. I tried to illustrate what i mean, click to enlarge:

th_DSC00391fix.jpg

Hello,

Yes your "L" tab idea crossed my mind, but it would be more complicated to mount them in the right spot and get them even. Washers would be good, but the bolts I used were barely long enough, so there is not enough room for washers. If I had gone to the trouble to go to the place that specializes in fasteners I might have been able to get longer bolts that were still skinny enough. Having the light aimed properly is crucial for maximum performance. Now that my light is aimed and 80watts I can see well enough that now I'm looking forward to going on a night ride. One of my riding buddies has HID on his KTM200. He loves night rides, and now he has another rider who's willing to go for night rides.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

Greenblazer

I have a Japan delivery DRZ400S which has the same 35W headlight as the E

I am thinking of doing the conversion you have described but wondering if the stock wiring can handle the 80W bulb.

Wouldnt it be necessary to wire a relay into the circuit to allow heavier gauge wire to be used and prevent burning out the light switch ?

Bill,

I've been running mine for about 2 weeks with no problems. I had consulted with the techs at Baja Designs before ordering to find out the best solution and they said it should work with the stock system. It's nice and bright even at my chronically low idle. Just remember your state's or country's law enforcement officers might not be as nice about bending the rules like they are here. If caught here it's just a fix-it ticket which means I would have to show that I replaced the light with a 55/65 watt bulb. I don't know how the Police would react to it in Cambodia.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

Greenblazer

I have a Japan delivery DRZ400S which has the same 35W headlight as the E

I am thinking of doing the conversion you have described but wondering if the stock wiring can handle the 80W bulb.

Wouldnt it be necessary to wire a relay into the circuit to allow heavier gauge wire to be used and prevent burning out the light switch ?

The light would be brighter that way although stock wires could be used too.

Thanks for the feedback

The local police wont care as long as I dont have it on during the day

They have a funny law here whereby only motorcades for big nobs are allowed lights on during the day.

I might give the Baja designs light a try depending on international shipping costs.

I looked on their website, and the only 80W bulb I could find was 80/80W PIAA Super White 13-0023 $39.95

Greenblazer, is this the bulb recommended to you by Baja designs ?

We have another option over here that is a Chinese made shroud with twin halogens (acerbis style) for $65

Comes with 55w bulbs but bigger wattage bulbs can be fitted.

Locals wire in a small relay to increase brightness.

Will post pics if I choose the latter option.

I've read reports here from people that were not satisfied with those type of lights. I've looked at them but I was not convinced to give them a try. I think I made the right choice for me. Yes the bulb in my Baja Light is a PIAA.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

The following Bulbs fit 00 thru 07 DRZ400 K/E Head Lamps they are H3C type bulbs oem stock. They can be converted to a more standard H3 Bulb very easy to do. Warning you'll need to be carefull about wattage output on 02 & up have Plastic lenses and may melt if over wattaged. theres also a h3 HID Kit last link below Thanks hope this Helps:thumbsup:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/light...onversion.html

http://absoluteprelude.com/forums/in...CODE=01&HID=89

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYDO-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYDO-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...keT rack=true

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-C...6270QQtcZphoto

Allan

Yes, I think you're right

After browsing the alternatives, yours and karmolis's mod looks the cleanest and is cost effective

You state that you asked BD for a "KTM upgrade" lens and Karmolis suggests BD lens 60-0002

Are these exactly the same ?

If I buy from BD, do I simply order the 60-0002 lens

Thanks

They are the same housing the difference might be the bulb that comes with it. "Upgrade" is the 80 watt bulb. I also ordered the plug for the back of the bulb because they are different from stock. You can see the lens/housing here: https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=600002

Before you order... Are you sure that you don't already have an H4 type bulb? If you remove the bulb from the lens/housing are there 3 blade type prongs comming out of the back of the light bulb, or do you see two buttons? If you already have a three prong type bulb it's probably an H4 style then you only need to replace the bulb. If the back of the bulb has two button type connector similar to the tail light bulb then you need to do the mod. H4's look like this:

http://www.tools-hills.com/images/PIAA-H4-Super-Plasma-GT-X-Bulb-Twin-Pack-B000AO827E-M-A1T0VEFK4F7RX4_.jpg

Does your bulb look like the bulb shown in this post? H3C bulbs:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4332660#post4332660

or does it look like mine did? H6M Bulbs

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RtkzAhZG730AITWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12m5dlqd5/EXP=1175933875/**http%3A//www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/piaa_h6m.jpg

Your stock light will be clear glass so ignore the color I'm asking about the base.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

Allan

I believe my shroud and bulb are the same as yours and karmolis

Apparently the Japanese delivery 400S has the same headlight shroud as the US 400E

The bulb is a koito 12V35/36.5W with the buttons on the base rather than the spade connections

However its double filament and the bike has hi/lo beam switching

Heres some pics of my current standard setup

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

Yes that is the same setup I had, so I would do the mod that we did. The easy way would be to just order the whole headlight shroud and assembly from Baja Designs, but their shroud is not the best looking unit. The headlight itself works great, and the stock shroud looks nice. One part of the mod that we didn't talk about is wiring the correct plug fo the H4 style bulb. It's not difficult, and they are availiable at auto parts stores or through Baja Designs.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

"The easy way would be to just order the whole headlight shroud and assembly from Baja Designs, but their shroud is not the best looking unit."

Yes, I tend to agree, although the BD shroud would be a good option if one wanted to return the bike to standard and keep the upgrade to transfer to a later model DRZ in the future.

This raises the question, can the original lens be put back in the shroud after the modifications.

Using the "L" tab method of securing the lens would alleviate the need to drill visible holes but I suppose trimming the inner ridge would be the point of no return ?

This raises the question, can the original lens be put back in the shroud after the modifications.

Using the "L" tab method of securing the lens would alleviate the need to drill visible holes but I suppose trimming the inner ridge would be the point of no return ?

The mod is mostly reversable. I did not remove the stock mounts so the stock light could go back in, but the shroud can't be un-trimmed.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

Does anyone know we're I could tie into my wiring harness to add a kill switch for my headlights