Sign in to follow this  

Eddie and other pros...Help!

Here's my tale of woe. Last night I changed the oil/filter, spark plug, installed a new throttle cable and cleaned the carb inside and out. I was headed down the road on a test drive when I noticed the bike was not reaching it's full RPM potential. The throttle has it's full range of motion and the power is smooth. The bike will rev high, it'll just take awhile to get there. I'm lacking that snap off idle and at higher RPMs.

My first thought was throttle cable. Like I say, it has the full range of motion so, probably not that.

Second hunch was something related to the needle, etc. Maybe I have the washers messed up?

Here are my stats:

Today's elevation: 3700 ft

Today's temp: Low 50's

S model w/ Mikuni

3X3

Full Yosh RS3

130 MJ

22.5 PJ

3rd clip

2.5 turns on the fuel screw

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

Your vacuume slide is not sealed properly ... take the top of the carb off ... that is where the problem will be

Your vacuume slide is not sealed properly ... take the top of the carb off ... that is where the problem will be

OOOOH! I did have a rough time getting the top of the carb to seat properly. That's probably it! Freewheelers, you're awesome!

Dan

As you are checking the diaphragm, make sure th small "O" ring on the side between the cover and the body is there. It seals a blind hole but it is still needed.

As you are checking the diaphragm, make sure th small "O" ring on the side between the cover and the body is there. It seals a blind hole but it is still needed.

I need to do that too! I think I left it out! I can't seem to get the "lip" of the diaphragm to sit in it's little indentation on the carb. It's acting like it's too big. I've never really had this problem before. Any tips? Could carb cleaner damage the diaphragm or cause it to lose shape?

Aarg!

I need to do that too! I think I left it out! I can't seem to get the "lip" of the diaphragm to sit in it's little indentation on the carb. It's acting like it's too big. I've never really had this problem before. Any tips? Could carb cleaner damage the diaphragm or cause it to lose shape?

Aarg!

Anyone have any tips for getting the diaphragm to sit right? Could it be damaged?

I have trouble getting mine in too. Seat it on the far side of the carb from you and put the cap on and CAREFULLY use a small screw driver to push the rest in to the seat. You can tell if it is in straight by the cap sitting level all the way around.

Good luck and use patience.

Could carb cleaner damage the diaphragm or cause it to lose shape?

Aarg!

Yes !!! carb cleaner will damage the diaphragm and make it 'stretch'.

Try sticking it down with a smear of grease, you may get it back in :naughty:

Neil. :bonk::D:bonk:

I usually use a sort of "sliding" motion to get the diaphram back on and in the groove. I get about half of it in the groove, put the spring in, making sure it's properly over the post in the cap, then with light downward pressure, slide the cap over a I'm pushing the diaphram into the groove.

Yes !!! carb cleaner will damage the diaphragm and make it 'stretch'.

Try sticking it down with a smear of grease, you may get it back in :naughty:

Neil. :bonk::D:bonk:

DAMN! I'll try the grease trick. Maybe I'll order another diaphragm, just in case.

Thanks again guys!

I was thinking...If the 'phragm is stretched, should I even bother using it? Would you consider it garbage?

Dan

I was thinking...If the 'phragm is stretched, should I even bother using it? Would you consider it garbage?

Dan

Provided it has no holes in it, and you can get it in place, it will work ok, at least untill you can find a new one.

Neil. :bonk::naughty::D

• Like 1

Thanks for your time Neil. You've been a great help!

Dan