Sign in to follow this  

07 SM/TC510=Same carb or different?

I have been trying to diagnose the somewhat severe popping on decel with my SM510. I have the JD jet kit installed along with the famous exhaust mod. I am curious why the instructions for the TE/SM for the jet kit are different than for the TC? Is the carb different on the TC or are the jetting specs different do to the different cams and much more free flowing exhaust? I am thinking that if it's just the exhaust then maybe I need to jet my bike according to the TC specs since I have done the exhaust mod. Anyone have any insight to my problem?

Thanks

I'm not sure what the exhaust mod is, exactly, but I know that if there are leaks where your pipe meets the headers, you'll get popping on decel. Are your valves properly adjusted?

Valves are within spec and I put some RTV sealant on the joint right after the collector, still pops pretty bad. It's possible I didn't use enough RTV because that joint was pretty loose and I only used a very thin layer of RTV.

I have the TE450 but it may apply in your case as well. I found with the JD kit that it was a bit lean on the pilot, especially when it was a bit cooler out and before the bike was warmed up completely. Try going up one size on the pilot jet. JD came with a 42 and I just put in a 45. Most/all of the popping has been eliminated. Of course, I will probably go back to the 42 when it gets hot out and/or I increase elevation.

Thanks for the reply. Have you done anything to seal up the exhaust joints or did changing the pilot jet clear up the popping without doing anything to the exhaust? I am at about 2,700 feet and the weather has been around the 50's-60's since I've had the bike.

I notice that in the manual the TE/TC/SMR all share the same carb so I am curious why the different jetting? The different cams/exhaust and fact that the TC is not restricted from the factory would be my guess.

I didn't do anything to the exhaust. Still the stock setup. I figured the pilot jet install was a lot easier than trying to seal the exhaust. I would imagine you're right about the TC since they all share the same carb.

My 06 TE 510 was doing the same thing and I also changed to the 45 pilot.

Eliminated at least 75% of the popping. I have done the exhaust mod and have not sealed the exhaust.

In my expericence, using red high temp RTV to seal the exhaust will only work/last for a relatively short period of time before it blows out. I've tried it twice. Some say a product called chamber seal works better, lasts longer, I've not tried it. I'm still running 42 pilot and have dialed out most, if not all, of the decel popping with the fuel screw. Stock exhaust. JD says a little popping on decel is ok, even a good sign that it's not so rich that it will load up when the AP is kicked...

I just swapped out the 42 pilot jet for a 45 like you guys recommended and took the bike for a spin. The popping on decel is almost completely gone. I can't believe that swapping out the pilot jet can make such a big difference like that. I have a lot to learn. :naughty:

Thanks again. :bonk:

Your right, The TC Cams have slightly more lift and duration than the SM/TE cams and the TC muffler flows better (no spark arrestor and smaller). The carb is the same on all the bikes.