Shorts, kneeguards, and boots..

I got a friend who rides with Troy lee desighns shorts and knee guards, boots...just singletrack...swears by it keeps his jewels cool and says maneuverability is the best..anyone else ride like this..? Looks comfortable.

Ive been thinking of getting the rev pant with the zip off legs for those hot summer rides..

It looks comfy. I haven't tried it yet. My kids did though and both of them got burns on the insides of their legs from the pipe. Not sure if it's just related to minis or not. (CRF 50/KLX 110)

With a wrap around the leg type kneeguard and boot...theres hardly and skin exposed..and the breeze blowin up your shorts would keep you cooler than pants I would think..

I have a pair and absolutely love them.

P.S. and I don't even like wearing shorts normally.

Ditto-I wear asterik knee braces with the sock thingy underneath(pantyhose)

so no skin is exposed(sorry ladies).It gets hot as hell her in N.M. so its the only way to go for me,.fox makes shorts for shorts sake no zip off and are a little longer than most zip offs.

I dont know about yall but here in arizona every bush has thorns what would happen if a limb went up thoes shorts and got in your jewels. Me I would rather have sweaty jewels than ripped ones. IMO

I do the shorts thing at the dunes, otherwise, like fordman said, everything living out here in AZ has some sort of thorn or barb or needle. not to mention all the sharp pointy rocks.

and I too have a nice burn on the inside of my leg, even with knee/shin pads on from it.

My girlfriend did that ONCE...had long shorts on but they rode up, bike landed with the header right on her leg, just where the kneeguard ended...really bad burn from the pipe cos it took her awhile to get the bike off her...

I don't think I'll ever do that after seeing how bad her burn was. Its not THAT much hotter wearing nice vented pants...

This thread reminds me of this:

Riding shorts

I can't even imagine riding in shorts. Way too many rocks, tree staubs and other things to injure yourself. The Moose Sahara line of pants provide decent protection and venting at a fair price.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=31&s=2

I wear a pair of riding shorts by Shift. I have shorter legs as it is, so by the time my full wrap knee guards are in place along with boots there's no skin exposed but... The breeze is nice. My only fear is a big ol wasp getting up under there while traveling at speed. I've already had one fly into my helmet and almost crashed.

Like Ud Luz mentioned the Moose Sahara line is nice on hot days too. I bought my wife a couple sets and the jersey has those nice big mesh panels sewn in.

The Troy Lee Design shorts that he was asking about stop just below you knee while standing. They don't blow up into the air while riding and most of the ventilation seams to come from the back of the leg. Now I not saying to wear regular shorts, but the Troy Lee short works well for me and I only ride in the woods with occasional pegging of the rev limiter (5 th gear) on open logging roads.

Ive noticed that a lot of the FMX guys wear the shorts. Ive got a pair of Thor Static Dragon pants, but havent gotten the chance to try them out on a really hot day yet.

One thing to remember is that you cant wear them as shorts at an AMA santioned event. Just make sure you zip the pantlegs back on them before you go to a race.

I wear thor zip offs and asterisks knee braces with the leggings my boots and I love it. Yes I have crashed pretty hard and no damage to my legs. Pres day clicked into fith and hit a burm launched laid the bike down sideways slid for 15 feet only damage was to my arm from a sand burn. Unless it was cold and I mean really cold that is all I wear.