Sign in to follow this  

Problem Getting Filter Plug Loose!

I have an 07 450 XCW. I'm doing its first oil change. I cannot get either filter screen plug loose. The long screen takes a 13mm socket. I tried with all I have to break this free. No good. Then I used a hammer to tap the wrench. I now have an almost round plug!!! I have no idea how I'm going to get it out now. I'm also having difficulty with the short filter. I haver a hex key set and when I try to loosen it the set starts to bend. It's not a cheap set either. The manual says to tap it with a hammer, but I do not want to strip out another plug. &%$#@!, I AM SO IRRITATED!!! The Plugs don't have backward threads do they? Any input would be appreciated...

the threads are not backwards......so don't do that..... get the air gun out with the socket and allen that fits well. if you do not have any of these things. take your bike back to your dealer. they should do it for free......

OK I have now broke 2 six point sockets trying to remove the freaking plug. Yes, they totally split down the side. :bonk:

I have just done the first oil change on my 07 400 xcw,i found the long screen plug very tight.Put a socket on it,then give it a tap,to relieve the stress,then a qwick tap on the wrench with a hammer.That worked for me.That plug sits on a bit of an angle,maybe it was cross threaded from the factory.good luck

I have an 07 450 XCW. I'm doing its first oil change. I cannot get either filter screen plug loose. The long screen takes a 13mm socket. I tried with all I have to break this free. No good. Then I used a hammer to tap the wrench. I now have an almost round plug!!! I have no idea how I'm going to get it out now. I'm also having difficulty with the short filter. I haver a hex key set and when I try to loosen it the set starts to bend. It's not a cheap set either. The manual says to tap it with a hammer, but I do not want to strip out another plug. &%$#@!, I AM SO IRRITATED!!! The Plugs don't have backward threads do they? Any input would be appreciated...

After you get it fixed, buy a Brap oil plug for the lower screen. It replaces the alan head plug. I have the same bike and I already did the first oil change without any issues but I bought the Brap plug just in case. Good Luck.

A little heat from a propane torch around the plug will help break the seal. Don't heat the plug directly. You may have to replace the o-ring but that is a small price to pay. Use a good allen socket on the short screen and not an allen wrench. Give it another wack after heating around it. If it still won't break loose, let the dealer do it. Then get the Brap plug.

Thanks guys. I was going to pick up an industrial strength socket and a breaker bar. I think I'm going to take it to the dealer. It's still under warranty.