Sign in to follow this  

2003 rm250 gearbox oil

hi, Near the gb filler cap on my 03 rm250 it says 750ml. I put in 750ml then opened the check bolt no oil came out. I ended up puttin in around 850ml for it to come out of the check bolt.

Is this normal, do you other 03 rm250 riders have the same problem?

thanks

i have an 03 rm250 as well ive noticed like the book says to put 750ml in for a change and 850 in for an overhaul but ive noticed the longer i leave the bolt(drain bolt)out to let every little bit drain out the more i have to put in i usually measure out 750 then check and it usually does not come out so i put whatever is needed to get it to drip while the bike is nice and level its not only you hope that makes ya feel a little better,patcap

On my '03 I always have to put in more than 750...but like patcap I let it drain a long time, basically until there is not even any dripping at all. Usually about 800 - 850 does the job.

ok thanks,

should I fill it up untill it just starts to drip out of the check bolt?

thats what i do,i just go ahead and put 750 in and then if i dont get a drip while the bike is level/straight add another40-50 or until you get a decent drip.patcap

It is not uncommon for the height of the hole to be in the wrong place. There was a few years that the YZ was too LOW, like in not enough oil. The bolt in my bike is stripped (thanks 1st owner) so I glued it in with silicone and measure my oil when filling it.

It is not uncommon for the height of the hole to be in the wrong place. There was a few years that the YZ was too LOW, like in not enough oil. The bolt in my bike is stripped (thanks 1st owner) so I glued it in with silicone and measure my oil when filling it.

cant you order a oem check bolt or is it not that big of deal,just curios it doesnt seem like it would be that big of a hassle take care,patcap