YZ250R or WR250F?

I am looking to upgrade my '05 YZ250F, for a newer blue one of course! Went to check out the '07s today and really like the WR. The problem is I don't want to feel under powered on the WR. Will this be the case? I mostly ride trails now so I am in favor of that majic button. Another detail is that I want to do some TORC(enduro) races here in Texas. The 250f has plenty of power for my riding style and skill, and its lighter in the tight stuff so I am not consridering the 450F. Which one do you guys think will work better for these purpouses?

Read my " WR Weight Issues" post on page 2 from earlier today. I am in a similar situation right now. The new WR does look great. The question for me is the WR's weight vs. a YZF. I race enduros more than trail ride., so weight is important to me but the WR comes almost ready to go for the woods. Tough decision.

I am looking to upgrade my '05 YZ250F, for a newer blue one of course! Went to check out the '07s today and really like the WR. The problem is I don't want to feel under powered on the WR. Will this be the case? I mostly ride trails now so I am in favor of that majic button. Another detail is that I want to do some TORC(enduro) races here in Texas. The 250f has plenty of power for my riding style and skill, and its lighter in the tight stuff so I am not consridering the 450F. Which one do you guys think will work better for these purpouses?

Don't be worried about losing power between the YZ & WR. They have the same moto with different cams and trany. The WR are setup for slower woods riding. If you uncork the WR it will run like a YZ

Checkout the Free Mods and the WR to YZ Mods

My son has a 02' YZ250f.I just went out and bought the 07' WR250f for myself.We did a side by side comparision yesterday.The WR actually didn't feel all that heavy compared to the YZ to me.Power wise...the WR feels to have a bit more low end probably due to the gearing.The YZ did however had a bit more up top.I'm not quite done with all the free mods yet.This might help even more.

I personally think the WR is the best choice for off-road.I also was comparing the WR with the KTM 250 XCF-W as well.I was a die hard KTM guy but am very happy with blue.

I feel I made the right choice!

I bought the 07 WR coming off of a 04 YZ 250F. Uncorked it, put a pipe on it and it's right there. The goodies are great, it's ready to go. I've raced two enduros so far. It feels a little heavier, but at speed that can be a benefit. Handling is terrific and it's the first stock suspension I've ever used, it's that good. Engine power is absolutely no problem, but in the tight woods use a bigger rear sprocket.

I have a wr250f 06 and I love it for trail riding. I went to moab this weekend with a friend who had the YZ and in some of the tighter stuff his bike wasn't geared to go slow so he was pretty frustrated at the end of the day. The light is great, bigger tank, E-start is Amazing!

I have a 01 WR and i can run with any YZF out there. At least in the woods. Track that's a different issue. I have mine completely geared to woods riding. But i got a 03 YZF cam tuned it to YZZ timing and i pretty much have a 01 YZF with a large tank and lights. See you could buy a YZF and turn it into a woods bike but you spend way more money trying to make it trail ready when the WR already comes ready to tackle the trails. Like the others said all the WR is is a YZF with different gearing and lights. So stick with the WR you'll be happier on the trail.

I am, I thought, more a two-stroke guy, but got a WR400F cheap and found I like it. I'm thinking a new 250F might be fun but will I miss the torque of the big one that much?

je

I had an 02 426 and had trouble riding with the kids. It was on the heavy side and did not think it was much fun riding around in 2nd gear all day. I purchased a YZ250F and have so much more fun. It does not have the arm jerking power, but you can hold the 250F wide open and still stay in control.

If you like riding your WR400 like a tractor don't get a 250F. You need to ride it more like a 2-stroke to get any power out of a 250F.

If you are buying new, Dirt Rider Mag (May Issue p145) has a great review on the 07 WR450 with an aluminum frame.

I prefer the powerband of the YZF but if your lazy get the WR for the wider ratio box. Everything being equal a YZF will leave a WR. And if there is sand whoops involved the WR will die! Stock WR suspension is too soft for most aggressive riders and YZF is pretty good for up to 170 lbs or so even for woods.

im in the same situation, i am deciding between a wr250 or yz250 or a 200exc, the wr looks like a great bike but the models in the years i could afford where quite heavy. the reason i am looking a 2 stroke also is that i am short and light so i cannot handle heavy weight or overly hard to start bikes. i am also a pretty aggressive rider without much money to spend so the 2 stroke is looking better all the time