Sign in to follow this  

How to: Tank Shroud Barrel Nut

This seems to be common Problem with the X's

First i took the others out , then i got the 1 that was stuck moving with a ratchet, then i put a drill on it.Started in torque mode then to high speed.

450X030.jpg

As you can see it melted the plastic and slid right out.

450X026.jpg

Now with it off i took a cresent and an 8mm ratchet and broke the Barrel nut loose from the bolt.

450X028.jpg

As you can see no Damage to the shroud.

450X031.jpg

Since i was not putting the tank back on i did not Epoxy the barrle nut back in. But that is what you would have to do if you were.

All done and back on the bike with new tank.

450X032.jpg

• Like 2

I like the idea too, I put anti-seize on all my screws and dont over snug them..

hey skoot how do you like that back pouch? i bought one but was afraid with tools in it, i would lay on the pipe and burn...

i think the same one on the same side did the same thing on mine, i just bought new plastics:bonk:

Skoot....

Your now in the stickies... :bonk:

Good job.

I got an idea... how about continuing on with your "how to", and show a repair to the stock tank... At this point your how to only covers replacing the tank. How about the pour soles who just want to remove a shroud and put the stocker back on?!

:naughty:

Skoot....

Good job.

I got an idea... how about continuing on with your "how to", and show a repair to the stock tank... At this point your how to only covers replacing the tank. How about the pour soles who just want to remove a shroud and put the stocker back on?!

That's a REALLY good idea. I've seen posts where people have had the dealer replace stock tanks for the same problem. I have the same problem on a brand new IMS tank so so would like to know how to fix it:thumbsup:

Skoot....

Good job.

No problem, i am pretty sure i have some Epoxy, so i will follow up in a few days. Scott

I used a low speed drill & a new(sharp) 3/8 drill bit. I drilled it very carefully & slowly until the bolt head literally was decapitated cleanly. I was able to remove the remainder of the bolt with my fingers.The tank & shroud were completly unharmed

Same thing happened when I put my IMS on. I melted the thing out like you did. Its a crappy design, since everyone is having this problem. They need extend the square part and make it have small spikes or digits that go out into the surrounding plastic not just a small square.

Skoot,

How do you like the new tank?

What kind of range does it provide?

Do you notice much difference in balance on the bike?

Skoot,

To me i dont really notice a weight difference, i cant even tell it's on there. Range seems to be controversial. If you get good MPG out of you stocker then you'll get good on the IMS. I've hit 113 miles one time out in the Dez before turning on reserve, then another 12 to the station. Some people get more, some less. Personally around 80 miles im looking for a station, this also depends on what it looks like in my tank. Riding up in the wood's it seems like i get less MPG. But usually i dont go over 60 or so mile's in the woods anyways, so no worries there. On the stocker i got about 55 miles to reserve out in the Dez.

Hope this helps, the tank is one of my Favorite mods i have done to my bike, it definately relieves some strees. I hated worrying about fuel, now i dont worry about it at all. I dont have the smallest tank and know i can go as far as everyone else or further.

Just use silcone on all bolts that go into or through plastic and you wont have this issue.

Skoot,

4 years ago when he posted that.

100+ miles range.

Tank is wider, and you do feel the weight when it's full.

Less MX-ish.

So I read somewhere that this is caused by threadlock installed at factory and heating the bolt with soldier iron will loosen sufficiently to remove. Not sure if that is true, but I will find out soon, cause my KX450F is same way.

So I read somewhere that this is caused by threadlock installed at factory and heating the bolt with soldier iron will loosen sufficiently to remove. Not sure if that is true, but I will find out soon, cause my KX450F is same way.

No, it's because the factory uses no 'anti-seize' on any bolts accept motor bolts. The Electrolysis causes corrosion.

You should remove any fasteners that are bi-metal (steel into aluminum or brass) and put anti seize on them, or they will also freeze up.

Edited by Krannie

No, it's because the factory uses no 'anti-seize' on any bolts accept motor bolts. The Electrolysis causes corrosion.

You should remove any fasteners that are bi-metal (steel into aluminum or brass) and put anti seize on them, or they will also freeze up.

We mix anti-sieze abut 25/75 with a good red, blue or Moly (my favorite) grease and have had very good results...it's a VERY Ol'School trick learned from a Guru named Jon Stoodley.

Btw, anyone caught use a "gun" on our palstic better start runnin'! :goofy:

Ok sounds right about corrosion, but my shrouds seemed stuck since new, but I avoided removal by leaving them with tank, but unfortunately trees are taking their toll on shrouds, is it possible to remove without stripping tank?

I'm in a similar situation myself - at first I thought I had stripped the dad off the bolt, then I realized that I was actually turning and the metal part in the tank was turning also. Damn.

I've been riding around with one blue shroud and one black since I can't get the stock one off. I would love to see how to fix the hole made in the tank once the whole bolt housing was "melted" out...ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400371267.908211.jpg

So I tried the "melting" method above and it didn't work for me. Couldn't get the drill to turn the bolt fast enough. Anyone else have any suggestions? I really want to get the shroud off, preferably with little/no damage to it. Definitely don't want to damage the tank since I don't have a spare.