Sign in to follow this  

water pump leaking AGAIN

hey guys i just rebuilt my waterpump about a month ago and only got to ride a few times and now the pump is leaking through the weep hole AGAIN... what do i do next ?? i got all new parts, bearing, seals, shaft etc. and drilled the 06' style hole in the impeller ..... im bummed, scott

could possibly be a warped housing, might be a problem or, if you are leaking throught the hole check the seal surface on the shaft, if you run your fingernail across the depth of the shaft and it grabs in a recess (the seal will wear the shaft ever so slightly), you have too much wear on the shaft and might need a new one as the seal cannot fully seal and keep in fluids. An easy fix if its not too bad, use crocus cloth (very very fine sand paper) and clean the surface of the shaft and that might do the trick.

but thats if you have the used shaft, forgot the look at your list of new parts. Im stumped now.

My '04 leaked the first time it was fired up.The factory had the seal in backwards.The shop replaced it before I loaded it up and took it home.Well almost 3 years to date it started leaking out of the weep hole.Replaced the seal and all is well.Sounds like there might be other issues with yours.Inspect everything,you'll find the prob.:bonk:

If you just replaced it all recently, just drain the coolant, remove the water pump cover, remove the water side seal, clean it, and put it back in. This has worked for me. I've even done it at the track.

ben

thanks guys. an ill try what you mentioned Ben before i get to carried away with tearing it all apart again. scott

Both the seals are directional, also...If you put either one in backwards, you will have problems.

Its likely not the seals on the water pump. The water pump is driven by the counterbalance shaft. Once the bearings on that go you can replace the seals on the waterpump every week and they will still leak.

Do a search on counterbalance shaft and you will find replacement instructions and parts lists.

Its likely not the seals on the water pump. The water pump is driven by the counterbalance shaft. Once the bearings on that go you can replace the seals on the waterpump every week and they will still leak.

Do a search on counterbalance shaft and you will find replacement instructions and parts lists.

This is a possibility...However, he would most likely be getting water into the gearbox or have oil migration if the c/b bearing and seals were going bad...:bonk:

Last year I had a similar problem where it ended up being related to the counterbalancer shaft bearing. The shaft and bearing were fine but due to the wear and tear of the counterbalancer, the bearing had become loose within the case. Thanks to searches on thumpertalk I was able to quickly diagnose this. If at all possible, I would see if the bearing has become loose within the case housing. A few suggestions people had to fix that related problem were to: replace the case, pean the case or to buy a locking agent. Automotive stores (advanced autoparts) sells different locking agents. If you ever had to get the bearing out of there it would be a bear after using an agent that has to be heated to over 500 degrees to remove, but this may be better than peaning.

well i got a chance today to work on the bike. it seems i pulled an idiotic move and put the water seal in backwards :bonk: . i pulled and replaced it ( correctly this time ) and seems to be ok so far. i was only able to go for a quick 10 min ride but so far so good. i wont ride tomorrow so hopefully sat ill fill you guys in if its a fix or not. thanks for the help and suggestions guys, scott