Sign in to follow this  

84 xl 350 r

First post

Just bought a 84 xl 350 r , its very hard to start when cold , any sugestions on how to improve cold starts ? Any other mods or advice on this model xl would be great.

bob

For sure , wanted just plain ol bob but it was taken , what can you do .

Check valve adjustment. Choke working?

just got it a couple days ago , havn't check the valves yet , but there is a noticeable " tick " in the top end.choke seems fine .

Hey 'dere buddy!

Are you bringing the engine to TDC before giving it a kick?

Have you tried turning the idle up about 1/2 a turn just for getting it started?

Valves might be out of whack, definitely worth checking.

If you just bought it, you could check to make sure that there isn't a tiny clog in the pilot jet or anything.

Are you using any throttle when starting?

Any air leaks in the intake boot between carb and engine?

Didn't really give us specifics on how the bike runs when hot, so I just did a quick run down of everything I could think of that would affect starting or make it easier.

is it the old dual carb model, i think the have a odd 2 stroke style choke? Memory is getting old as i havent worked on one of these since 1992

Id check for a clogged passageways in the choke, the bike may have sat for a while

I have an older XL600. Not the easiest thing to start, but not horrid either.

Check your valves first, as others have said. Look for random air leaks. I am not sure if the 350 was jetted as lean stock as the 600 was, but everything I have read is that a step up in jetting won't hurt ya.

If the 350 is anything like the 600, there is a routine to get it fired up.

When cold... have the choke on, kick the bike over a couple times, until you get the piston to the top, or near the top of the compression stroke... your foot will tell ya when. If kicking slow, it's more or less lock on you. At that point, return the kickstarter to its starting position, click the compression release, and let that foot fly.

I think no matter what, you are going to hear your valves working, an OHV aircooled engine has that nuance. Shoot... I have heard a newer KLR up close, and they have some loud valve tick. My VWs always had valve ticking, even when spot on... and my 600 has valve ticking, eventhough I haven't set them yet (new acquisition... bought used, with only a little extra info... a little bit of a process, but lots of fun).

Best of luck!