Sign in to follow this  

Grande Prairie

Hey just checkin to see who's around Grande Prairie

I'm a few hours away in BC. I think everyone in our neck of the woods has trades their bikes in for sleds. We'll be pushin' it to make the first race in GP!!

I'm a few hours away in BC. I think everyone in our neck of the woods has trades their bikes in for sleds. We'll be pushin' it to make the first race in GP!!

Are you in the Dawson Creek area?

Man I'm glad I moved down here from up there! I spoke to some relatives up there and they say they still have three feet of snow on their lawn:thumbsdn:

We've been riding for a month down in Kamloops:thumbsup:

I live in the great and lively town of Chetwynd actually. Myself and a few friends made the new track here last year. 3' feet is a little generous for us, more like 4-5 feet at the track, freaking brutal! Kamloops is the way too go though...good riding down there.

I live in the great and lively town of Chetwynd actually. Myself and a few friends made the new track here last year. 3' feet is a little generous for us, more like 4-5 feet at the track, freaking brutal! Kamloops is the way too go though...good riding down there.

Ahhh.

Chetwynd.

A quaint little town approx. 3-4 beers South West of Dawson Creek. Known for it's successfull logging industry and Ummm...friendly women:prof:

I know the cold beer and wine store there very well!

Hey, Do you know a kid named Adam B. from up there? I used to work with him and rode a few times with him.

Ahem...Sorry to hijack the thread pinko:banghead:

Anyone from G.P. here???

Yea don't worry bout it....it's all good. Whats the riding like in Dawson anyways?

Yea don't worry bout it....it's all good. Whats the riding like in Dawson anyways?

The riding around there kinda sucks. Lots of "peace river gumbo". Good for quads and 4x4's though. There's lots of cutlines and fire roads but they tend to get a little boring after a while.They built a new track a couple years ago but I haven't ridden it. Everyone that I know says it's pretty good. If you feel like a drive there is some riding up near the dam by Hudsons hope. I think they call it the morain. Kinda like a big gravel pit with sand here and there with a few trails back into the trees. The snow seems to leave there a little sooner than anywere else so it's good for early season riding.

From what i remember GP has a pretty good area across the highway from the golf course. I think they call it the dunes. Haven't ridden there for a few years though. Down in the valley south of GP there was some pretty good single track too.

Hinton dunes is worth the 3-4 hour drive from GP if you haven't been there already.

Is GP still booming like crazy? We haden't been there for a year and then drove through last Xmas and the place was goin crazy. Everyone's got a 60,000 dollar vehicle and a 400,000 house it seems. If it was a little more South I would have taken a job there.

I'll shut up now. The weather's kinda shitty, so no riding today..

Yea we spend most of our times in the dunes there. You can actually get to the track from the dunes if you want to play around on that. Me and a couple buddies rae actually going to the Brule dunes there in Hinton for May long weekend. Haven't been there yet but I heard it was pretty good.

And yea it's actually getting worse down here for trucks and houses. Everyone here has to have the bigger truck and house and the most toys. I moved here just over 2 years ago and it wasn't near this bad when I moved up.

Yeah, the banks just love the whole Northern Alberta/B.C. area. Why not? They own most of it!!

That's one reason I left the North. Just one big pissing match.... a vicious cycle

I think when the oil industry does its 10 year down cycle I'm gonna go to all the bankruptcy auctions up there!! Everyone I know up there makes the big wages but they are financed out the ass.:bonk: Luckily I had a trade that moved with me. A lot of guys I know up there don't...

I lived in GP for awhile but got the hell out of there!! I like the riding there and the track is awesome, but to much testosterone for me. They have a gem of a track but there are only a few people who maintain it and hundreds of people who ride it...same ol' story i guess. I feel for the die hards there who get all the squids that reap all the rewards of a dedicated bunch.

GP seems like it was getting out of hand there so I bailed back home to a better job. You're right loops, one dip in the energy sector and there is going to be alot of hurting people. Even our poo hole is going crazy with mining, logging, oil & gas and now wind power. Brutal!

I despise DC track! I ate poo there close to 2 years ago and I still haven't been able to ride. I go for my 2nd wrist surgery soon so hopefully that will change. The track is awesome to race on but hard and choppy to practise on.

Loops, I know Adam. I used to work with him at one of the sawmills. He's a pretty good guy, doesn't seem to get excited too much. He's on his way to Europe to backpack for the summer. Whatta guy...:bonk:

Good News for the Grande Prairie Track, it looks like it's almost ridable now, The club bladed it and when I was out there to have a look on Wednsday my knees got weak, my stomach turned and I was seeing spots in my eyes,:worthy: GAME ON!:ride: so I think I'll try to go out for the first ride this weekend:applause: I am so done with snow!👍

Sweet. Can't wait to give it a run. Just waiting on a motor

Hit up the gravel pits on sunday. Wow were there alot of qudtards there. hundreds; like some sort of viral infection, all tearing around with reckless abandon. No helmets, beer flowing, might as well be riding with blinders on. Scared me really. I think i'll stick to weeknights only around there and take daytrips on weekends.

Pinko,

Concerning Brule, Maylong can be amazing or horrible, depending on your mindset. I've been three times, and it's usually the same. Massive partying. MASSIVE PARTYING!

There used to be two 'campsites' neither one has facilities, or even stalls for that matter, so make sure you are self contained. Anyway, forestry closed down the south camp, leaving the north only. it's usually very busy, and the lack of campsites won't help, so go early (thursday) if you want to be close to the action. If you prefer peace and quiet you have to camp on the road in and ride a few more klicks to the lake, but thats ok.

The partying is generally quite friendly. the first year i was there we partied like rock stars for the weekend, travelling from camp to camp, and nobody was unfriendly. the next year it wasn't as social, but there was still a good vibe. the last time we parked away from the party and kept to ourselves. [i'm getting old]

the riding is awesome, depending on the water level. if the lake is low, the riding is even better, hydroplaning alot, lots of high speed runs. if the water is high you have to be a little more careful, it's easy to drown your bike. the climbing is always good though. The only thing you have to watch out for are the quads and drunk a-holes ripping around. normally the quadders all sit at the bottom of a few hills, drink beer and drag race. all day. every day.

Make sure you have your papers in order. the fish cops always hang out there looking for insurance and registration. If you can prove your BC residence you don't need a plate because of BC's system some how.

We have stopped going maylong due to the population issue there. normally we go earlier to get there before the snowpack starts flowing and the waterlevel rises too much.

that's my synapsis of brule. not short, and not pretty, but now you know.

P.S. bring your own firewood.

P.P.S bring a fire extinguisher, last year some dipshits started a grass fire screwing around and it almost got away from them.

Awesome Kenton. Thanks alot that's just what I was looking for. Very descriptive. Are you going down this year?

I've been there for 2 or 3 May long weekends. Kenton described it very well. If you're there to party, go May long. If you're going to ride, go the weekend before when the trails aren't pounded out. If you're going to do both........bring lot's of Gatorade and Tylenol and a good kidney belt:crazy:

As Kenton kinda touched on, watch out for changing conditions on the lake. One Saturday I did an 80 mile and hour pass out on the dry lake...That night was windy and a dune had blown up about 3 feet tall about 3/4 of the way down the lake. Sunday I tried it again without knowing about the new dune (hard to see). There's nothing like getting 8 feet of air at 80 miles an hour when you're not expecting it.... 👍

The trails in and out of the dunes get extremely busy so watch out for the idiots...

This year several of us are heading to the interior. probably kamloops. I saw a post with kelowna pics last night and I would love to ride there if I can find some trails.

I think i'll avoid brule until the weather stabilizes and the water levels out. It could be brutal with the winter we had.

Hey Kenton or Loops, just wondering if a paddle tire is definitely worth it or not?? I know I asked this before but I want to be totally sure because I don't want to get down there and not be able to ride much of the terrain as I don't have another wheel to mount a dirt and a paddle.

Hey Kenton or Loops, just wondering if a paddle tire is definitely worth it or not?? I know I asked this before but I want to be totally sure because I don't want to get down there and not be able to ride much of the terrain as I don't have another wheel to mount a dirt and a paddle.

I rode a couple times with just an aggressive mud tire and I could get around OK. The dunes kind of go back into the trees with little 10 foot deep gulleys (like a series of snow drifts), so if you stop at the bottom of one of these gullies it can be hard to get going again with a regular tire.

Then I rode with a paddle tire......👍

Lots more fun and I could climb anything as long as my front end would stay down. The only drawback was that it was rough as hell on the hardpack riding into the dunes. Put it this way....my subframe bolts rattled loose even with red loctite. Even though....I would still go with a paddle tire next time. They suck to mount because the sidewalls are so thick. I would sooner spend 35 bucks to have a shop mount it than wrestle one on again. I had an 8 paddle tire on. I'll be trying to find a 10 paddle next time to smoothen things out. Over all if you want to check out some of the woods riding too, the go with a fresh mud style tire. If you want to blow people away on the uphill drags and stay mostly in the sand, then go with a paddle.

We also got pulled over by the fish cops. They asked for ID to prove we were from B.C. but we forgot it back at camp. After bullshitting with them for a while they said "bring it next time" and let us ride off. It could have wasted an hour of the day to go back to camp so I would take ID with you.

Hey Kenton...

What areas have you ridden around Kamloops?

Pinko, let me know if you are planning any weekend rides locally. I am new to GP and cant wait to blast the hell of the dunes. All the riders in my office are 40+, and not to bash them or anything (becasue I havnt gone riding with them yet), but I can se myself wanting to hook up with a "younger" group to lay down some serious km's.

PM if you ever organize a ride and I will do my best to make it out.

p.s. I work for SRD, so I can get my hands on some pretty sweet maps and air photos!