Sign in to follow this  

went down today

Was 40 miles from nowhere when we went down, wife was on back. Fortunetely she was not hurt at all as she rode my back during the fall (good thing to remember if you land up being someones passenger :naughty: ). We were on a very gravelly abandoned mining road and the bike went down on a turn going maybe 25 mph. Here's a pic of the road before getting to the twisties

DSC_0277.jpg

Pretty much all the contingencies I planned for kicked in. I landed up with a small but gaping hole near my kneecap... could see the bone (cool). Had my first-aid kit and was able to stem the bleeding and sterilize the wound as much as I could. Below are some pictures of the damage

Guess I'll need a titanium pipe afterall :bonk:

DSC_0281.jpg

Looks worse in the picture than it is... pretty much cosmetic

DSC_0282.jpg

Cycras plastics got scuffed up (just put them on this morning) but did their job!

DSC_0284.jpg

Was able to ride out of there to the ER room with semi-freaked-out wife behind me.

Important to note I was not doing anything really risky. Just hit a really bad patch of deep gravel right into a turn with the D606's. Now if only my kevlar pants had arrived.

On a side-note, the ER doctor was the brother of an ex-officemate... not that surprising considering how small the population is here.

I guess my leg modeling days are over

DSC_0286.jpg

The mx boots and armored jacket saved my bacon bigtime. Not riding dirt again until the kevlar pants come in though.

Here's some more shots of the area....

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

From the looks of the bike that was a pretty nasty fall. Glad you and you wife weren't hurt any worse that you were. That is some really beautiful country that you are riding.

Sorry about your fall. Good to hear that you're relatively OK. I would recommend that along with the kevlar pants, that you also get a set of MX knee guards to wear under them. I always wear mine and they saved my knee in a crash before...

Those pics are some beautiful pics man. Sorry to hear that you went down with your lady on the back. At least your bike is okay. Looks like you do need that TI pipe.

Glad to see you are OK. Where about were you riding? I live in Herriman and do a lot of riding at 5 mile...past eagle mountain.

Glad to see you are OK. Where about were you riding? I live in Herriman and do a lot of riding at 5 mile...past eagle mountain.

I know that area pretty well, used to ride 5 mile pass quite a bit. I was between Elberta and Eureka... about 35-40 miles south of 5 mile. Instead of switchbacking up the mountain to get to Eureka took an old road (dividend road) that goes to the bergen mine. Was actually headed for the West Desert... but it was not to be.

I hope that's not what I have to look forward too. I just picked up my D 606's today from Rockymountain. I barely in Riverton (across from Smiths) and havn't seen any other DRZ's. Shouldn't they plan a ride together?

Hi Jim, sorry to hear man. Glad your wife made it out untouched and you're for the most part OK. Deep gravel is pretty sketchy, for me, even on my knobbies. I like to stand, don't think I'd like a passenger mixing things up. Hope she gets back out with you after this though!

Might think about an exhaust slider for the new exhaust. I wonder if it would help off-road too?

I second the knee pads! My knees and ankles are fragile and I like being able to walk too!

You can buy a replacement sleeve for the RS3. Something like $60 bucks and it would look new.

Bout to say the terrain looked like Eureka...

Glad you were geared for the fall... Maybe some nice kneeguards in the future.

I just shake my head when I see people riding around here in shorts and sandals.

Tough break man.Glad you're not too big a mess. Heal quickly, and better luck in the future:ride:

Yeah glad both of you are OK. I will also chime in with a vote for some MX knee guards. They have saved my knees a few times and I've only been riding again for a year or so. Before I started wearing the knee guards religiously I went down on the road and my knee/leg modeling days are over also:cry:

The deathwings kinda, almost claimed another victim.

I've been riding for 3 years, with approx. 15,000 road miles and very few off-road miles. This Friday night was the first time that I've ever gone down while under motion. I was just barely putting along in first gear on an old rutted logging road; and the next thing I knew, I was on the gound. I hit my right knee, elbow, and shoulder. I had on leather pants with armor in the knees, and a First Gear jacket with substantial armor in the elbows and shoulders. I wasn't even the least bit sore the next day, and I'm convinced that the armor is what saved the day.

It really opened my eyes, as I was alone, and about 10 miles from anywhere. I never tell anyone where I'm going, and I wasn't exactly on the beaten path. The bike just suffered a bent, stock handlebar; and I was able to ride it out OK. Thinking very seriously about getting a satellite phone.

That stinks, especially since you were with the wife. By the way, is that blood I see on the side cover and brake? You must have been gushing pretty good.

The scratches on the pipe give it character, at least that's what everyone tells me about scratches I get on my stuff.

First and foremost I'm glad the passenger is okay.

Hope the healing process goes well, both for you and the bike.

CC

Tought that it had to happen with the wife on the back, but glad she is OK, and you mostly OK.

Even the bike don't look to bad.

Must be something about new handguards, I dumped my DRZ the day I fitted them as well:cry:

Good luck with the recovery (all 3 of you) :bonk:

Neil. :naughty::D:bonk:

PS: Hate to say this, But you never had much of a chance in the modelling stakes with those legs 😛

Sorry about the accident, Jim. But i'm glad it wasn't worse, & your wife is ok. I'll also chime in with the others about riding gear.. i bet if you had on some good knee pads you wouldn't have gotten the hole.. but i know when you're just going on a simple 'pleasure ride' with the missus you're not thinking of high risk activities.. just out for a easy ride.

Anyway, that is a good lesson for all about how falls come when you least expect it.

i'm with Neil on the legs.. :bonk:

scotty:cool:

BOOOO i wanted to see the bone!! j/k, glad you and the wife are okay.

Were you on your way to Sand Mountain? I have riden there. It gets pretty crowded and dangerous, that is why I ride in Rosecrest (near Camp Williams) and at 5 mile (close enough to ride to on my DRZ if I want).

My dirt gear includes hard pads for every place on my body where I have landed hard. So far, it includes knee pads, shoulder pads, elbow pads, and hip pads (in addition to the usual stuff).

Cheers for your brave wife! :bonk: