Sign in to follow this  

Knee Locks -What's wrong??

About 3 times a day my left knee will "lock" and hurt like hell. Usually happens if I rotate my foot a certain way while bending the knee. The only way to relieve it is to have someone pull on it - HARD. After that it feels fine. It doesn't seem to affect my riding - have had x rays and they found nothing. Should I ride with a knee brace??

Thats probably a torn knee cartlage. It needs medical attention. A brace has nothing to do with this problem.

That happened to me 30 years ago, half of my meniscus had been removed 3 years prior to it locking.

Went to the Dr. and found the other half had dislodged and was causing the locking.

If that's the case and it can be repaired, I would suggest doing it. Knees with cartilage and meniscus are much better than knees without.

I may be wrong, but I think tissue damage doesn't show up too well in an xray. Mine showed up in the 70's because it was hanging out of the joint, but I don't think the xray would show a tear.

Tree, is that you?

If so, where did the "the" come from?

Hi Dr. Mark,

It is me, "tree" was already used in TT, so had to add "the" here.

I got the nickname in highschool when blocking shots in basketball - one guy got mad and said I was like a tree in his way.

Also was called the moon mechanic, as one put it, when something was wrong with the moon, they could call me to reach up and fix it.

Tree stuck, Moon Mechanic didn't (Thank God!).

You are right.

Moon Mechanic sounds like Space Cadet.

One thing you are not, is a goof.