Sign in to follow this  

first wipeout

So the first couple times I layed my bike down or wrecked going up a rocky hill and got some bumps and bruises, I considered that my first wreck. Boy was I wrong. Today, I got to experience just what a real "wreck" is on a dirtbike. We were headed to another set of dumps that I have never rode my bike too. I've been on the trail a million times with the quad but never the bike. I headed down the tracks and got through all those rocks, no problem. Dropped down over a hill.. through some mud and onto a pretty clean trail. I THOUGHT I had gotten through the worst part and all would be fine. Man was I in for a surprise. Appearantly there were some vines stretched acrossed this trail that I was unable to see. There I am hammering up this trail when my bike runs into the vines and I get close lined and thrown off my bike. I then proceed to smash my knee of a huge rock and the bike lands on my other leg and pins me underneath. Here I am laying on the trail, holding my knee with one arm and trying to get my bike off of me with my other one. When I first did it, I could have sworn I shattered my knee cap. After the initial shock of it though, it started feeling better and I hopped on a friends quad and rode the rest of the day. I couldn't ride my bike because I can't kick start it since my right leg is the one that's messed up. I thought it was just a little roughed up and all would be fine but as the day progressed, it kept feelin' worse and worse. Now it's all swollen and I have to hop around, lol. I think it may be fractured or something. It just sucks because now the weather is nice and I'll be out for a little bit. I'm hoping no more than a week.

guess it's all a learning process.. :bonk:

That stinks. Hope you get better. Use this as a learning experience, next time you fall and you think it sucks just remeber how bad it hurt last time and suddenly is gone.

that suck my first wreck was a week afteer i had my first bike goin (1970 sl 100) i got it for 200 and fixed it. then i cut a corner and hit a granet marker about 2 inches high n 4x4 in covered in grass at about 25 and flipe end over end and broke my knee

i was out on my bike last weekend first ride this year .. CRASH .. dislocated shoulder ... it sucks .. i am glad you werent hurt to bad .. could have been worse .. speedy recovery and get back on er..

I did something similar yesterday. I was leading and hit a tree limb running with the trail (it was buried underneath leaves) and got launched across the trail and hit some trees. I took a handlebar to the groin and for about five minutes all I could do was roll around on the ground holding my crotch. I thought I tore my hoo hoo off at first it hurt so bad.

Anyway, it was a good and very humbling lesson because I was going faster than I should have been. Also glad I had bark busters on the bike or I probably would have some broken fingers right now.

Yeow, I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse than that. You can buy kneeguards for about $20, they won't keep you from major injury but they might help with the impact and such.

Keep riding! :bonk:

Yeow, I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse than that. You can buy kneeguards for about $20, they won't keep you from major injury but they might help with the impact and such.

Keep riding! :naughty:

Yup. My kneeguards go on everytime I ride, and have cushioned many an impact against rocks, other rider's footpegs, etc. I definately recommend investing in a pair!

Hope you heal fast! :bonk:

I realized that when I posted that, I sounded very :bonk: and I wasn't trying to be at all. I rode without knees for about a year until hubby cracked his up on his KTM and I realized, "Hey, dang, that could be me".

My guards have saved me from some nasty spills that would've likely just resulted in some cuts n' bruises but I figured that twenty bucks was cheap for guards.

Now I have to get some decent sleeved elbows that don't slide down, ride up, or cut off the circulation in my arms. :naughty:

Now I have to get some decent sleeved elbows that don't slide down, ride up, or cut off the circulation in my arms. :D

You know, I've given up on elbow guards... seems like every time I wear them, and then crash, they seem to be magically twisted out of the right position to do any good... :naughty: And with the heat down here, I'll be darned if I wear anything extra if I don't think its going to help me out in a crash!

Let me know if you find a good pair! :bonk:

You know, I've given up on elbow guards... seems like every time I wear them, and then crash, they seem to be magically twisted out of the right position to do any good... :naughty: And with the heat down here, I'll be darned if I wear anything extra if I don't think its going to help me out in a crash!

L2F, you might try these:

6612X4arm_thum.jpg

They are actually skater elbow guards but I've had good results with them. The model is 661 2x4. They tend to cause a little arm pump though but I can live with it.

Me too. I just rock my sexy scars. :D

Me too. I just rock my sexy scars.

That will be me .. i should have some good scars after the tumble last weekend .. and i cant wait to get going again .. so i am sure there will be many more to come even if i do wear all my gear .. with my luck things find a way to get me ...lol