Cost of bottom end

Anyone know the cost of redoing a bottom end on an 02 KX250? General ballpark if someone had this performed at a dealer. My brother just bought an 02 kx250 and it looks like the bike is in good shape. Checked everything over, engine runs fine, sounds good, smooth riding but we're wondering about the bottom end. Transmission is good, just never know about some of these backyard mechanics! Not that the seller was the mechanic but you get my drift :bonk:

TIA,

T

Personally I would never let a dealer rebuild a motor but that is me.

I just rebuilt the top end and bottom end and including parts it was about $900 using OEM gaskets whch are spendy and that included new forged piston as well as just about every other OEM seal bearing or bushing excluding the tranny.

My tranny was good, whew.

To do the bottom you have to take apart the top so if you are doing the bottom put a fresh top in as well.

You can do it yourself but if somethig goes wrong the cost will be even more and you have to do it again to boot.

Look on www.ronayers.com.

It is about $200 for the parts inside the crankcase halves (bearings, seals, bushings, pins)

It is about $170 or so for a new aftermarket crankshaft (check Chaparral, Dennis Kirk, or Rocky Mountain

A replate is about $175 - $200 including shipping both ways.

A new Wiseco kit is about $105-ish with the small end bearing.

A new aftermarket top end gasket kit is about $30 or so.

Don't forget a new spark plug and new coolant, plus any gaskets, seals or o-rings not included in the aftermarket top end gasket kit.

Oh, and new reeds. :-)

This does not include anything under the ignition cover or right side and clutch covers. Also, that is just for parts. It is more if you can't do the work yourself, obviously.

I had a new bottom (oem crank, bearings, seals) put in my 2000, new piston, replated cylinder, all new gaskets, etc. for roughly $1,200 at big name shop. Unfortunantly they botched the job and it required a good bit more because of mechanic error but none-the-less that is the going rate. I learned my lesson and my new shop would have been around the same price with quality work.

I had a new bottom (oem crank, bearings, seals) put in my 2000, new piston, replated cylinder, all new gaskets, etc. for roughly $1,200 at big name shop. Unfortunantly they botched the job and it required a good bit more because of mechanic error but none-the-less that is the going rate. I learned my lesson and my new shop would have been around the same price with quality work.

WOW how could a dealer screw that up? :bonk:

Just did a 98 kx250 and here is what I got.

Re-plate and weld $275 with shipping

Piston $80

Crank bearings and seals $50

Bottom end gaslet kit $46

Case welding $35

Crank off ebay $145

I think that was all I needed. Cheap! Tranny parts were not needed for mine.

That's about right because you paid about what I did without labor. I didn't need tranny parts either. The dealere left an e-clip off the kps valve rod, a bolt was left out of the kips valve, cylinder was scored and they didn't replate, piston was charged for and never put in. Other than putting the crank and bearings in they didn't do much of anything and ripped me a new one for it. :bonk: